iTunes Match Halfway?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Jan 2, 2012.

1. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

So my latest idea is if we can turn on iTunes match halfway?

What I mean by that is can I use it only in iTunes and not have it turned on my iPhone? This way I can continue to sync as normally, but also keep a backup?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. ericg301 macrumors 65816

Not sure what you mean "your latest idea." You can use iTunes Match on the desktop, to upgrade your tracks and keep your library in sync without using it at all on your iOS devices. In fact, iTunes Match in iOS devices is quite buggy and is no-where near ready for prime time. After a frustrating few days with it, I went back to manual sync/

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the only thing this would accomplish is that tracks that are in iTunes match but not on the phone won't appear as "in the cloud" on your iPhone...but yes, its possible

5. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

iTunes Match pretty much screwed up my phone, I had to reset it and sync from scratch. No way I am enabling it on my phone again, however I will keep it on in iTunes!

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Explain?

7. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Certain things were missing from my phone and would not copy on or play no matter what I did. When phone was plugged in and I looked at music, it was there four times, greyed out. No way to remove it, no way to actually add it. Even when I told it do download it from Match, it wouldn't. Even after disabling and trying sync, it would not work.

8. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Umm turning it off on your iPhone kinda defeats the purpose of iTunes Match. The whole purpose is so that your library is available to you on all of your devices. All of your music is on your computer already. The only purpose this would serve is if you had another computer like a MacBook Air with a small HD and wanted access to all of your music but not all of it downloaded to it.

Try disabling iTunes Match, then Unsync all of your music from your iPhone, then enable it again. Music under a certain Kbps won't upload and either will music downloaded under a different Apple ID.

9. tootall macrumors regular

Just like OP suggests

I use it exactly like the OP suggests. iTunes Match to upgrade to 256k and use home sharing on all my IO devices. When I am on the go, I don't want to download songs from the cloud because I have a data plan; a few gigs (!!!) of music is enough for when I travel...