iTunes Match + iPhone 5 Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iWoz, Sep 29, 2012.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Forgive my ignorance, but i purchased a subscription of iTunes Match which is great as you can access all your music over a network connection on an iDevice. My only issue is that as soon as I step out the house and want to play a song in my car on my iPhone its no longer there as im assuming its only available when Im connected to a wireless network? Whats the best way of keeping your iphone in sync with your iTunes songs aswell as keep itunes match?

Forgive my ignorance, if this is a stupid question.

Thanks

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Under Music settings make sure iTunes Match is on.

Use Cellular Data is on

Show All music is on.

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

That was all on already, so just to clarify if i need to use my iPhone in Airplane mode, all itunes match music wont be accessible?

4. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Correct, since iTunes match requires a network connection.

5. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Sounds like theres no benefits for me to use iTunes match, as ideally when I import a song to itunes and i leave the house I would like it to be permanently be on my iphone to use as per the standard syncing function.

6. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

it will be under 3G , LTE, Wifi, but airplane mode turns off these functions.

7. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

so if you're listening to a song in your car and you suddenly lose signal on your phone, the phone will stop playing that song, if it hasn't finished streaming?

8. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's more of a download service. You're downloading it to your device, then listening to it.

9. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

ah thanks, Is there a way of it working so that you can sync your itunes to your iPhone so that it always appears on the phone, rather than requiring a network connection on the phone aswell?

10. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I may be wrong but I think in iOS 6 you are now streaming and not actually downloading the songs anymore in iTunes Match.

11. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

What do u mean "it's no longer there"??? Do the songs and artwork vanish?? Are there any song listings at all???
    Nothing on the music app should change when u switch from a wireless network to a mobile network....if u don't have a data plan, sure you can't play new songs if u have no connection to the Internet, but u can still play songs which have downloaded to the device (ie. ones the you played already) as this is what iTunes Match does....it caches the songs you play already so u can enjoy them when on the underground for example, where there is no connection.

12. Scoop24 macrumors regular

in IOS6 you can stream or Download.. your choice.

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

If you put the device in airplane mode it can only play recently played songs (there is a playlist for this - unless you deleted it) as they are downloaded to the device when played. Hence airplane mode can't access the Internet so no new songs can be played...just the previous ones. Hope this helps u

----------

U cannot stream.....u cannot stop the song from downloading to the device when played using iTunes Match. There are numerous threads here discussing this... Don't confuse the thread starter with false information!!

14. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

That's funny because on my iPhone 5 I can stream or download.

----------

My bad. You are correct. When you play the song it does download it to the device. I just tested it out. :D

15. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Check the music on your phone. It is in fact downloading it while it is playing. Apple acknowledged on their support forum that true "streaming" currently only exists on then OS X platform from iTunes with iTunes Match and iOS devices still download the tune, albeit while they are also downloading it to the device.

Edit: your edit beat my edit.. ;)

16. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

Yes you are correct. I noticed the song counts on my phone went up for every song I played.

17. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

In iOS 6, you can still go to each album and download to the device and play offline.