iTunes match + local music files on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whyrichard, Jun 13, 2012.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I have itune match and a 64gb iPhone 4gs. iTunes match never worked very well for me until I totally deleted all my music from my iPhone, and reset itune match on my phone.

Before I synced about 30 gigs of music to my phone and then tuned on match, thinking my most listened to music would not new to be downloaded and would save on my data.... But my iPod app would stop after every song, and was a general disfunctional listening experience.

Is there any way to reliably have match running on my phone with a relativelyt large local batch of music?

Thanks.

R

2. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

I thought enabling iTunes match automatically removes the local music? It will download as you listen, quite a space saver for me :)

3. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

This has me stumped too, as my understanding of Match was the same as DodgeV83's. Even with Match enabled on the phone, plus having been through a sync with my MacBook Air, more than half the phone's memory is still committed to audio files. Given the fact I haven't downloaded more than a half dozen songs from the cloud, this seems reeeeeeeeally bizarre.

Do I need to manually delete all music from the phone, then re-enable Match? Will that risk deleting the same music from Match?

Forgive me if these are bonehead questions, but Match has never functioned quite the way I expected.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

CURRENTLY match isn't really a streaming service. If you set it to play a song that isn't loaded on your idevice it actually downloads it for you and plays from there. I am unclear on what happens if you run out of space, but I imagine songs that are played the least frequently are deleted to make room. This is changing with iOS6 as match will be a true streaming service. That is to say, the tracks will not be stored locally (unless you choose them to be).

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

iTunes Match does not delete songs already on your phone. I haven't experienced any issues with iTunes Match on an almost full phone.

6. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I realize that...but having only downloaded six songs from the cloud, I'm perplexed as to why several hundred appear (read: are physically present) on my phone.

When first setting up Match, my understanding was that upon initial phone sync (via USB), physical audio files would be removed, and only those downloaded from the cloud in the future would be re-embedded---just like in iTunes on the MacBook Air.

Based on PNutts' response, I get the impression that's the part I misunderstood (along with DodgeV83, above, so apparently, I'm not alone).

Which brings me back to the initial question:

I need to open up a ton of space on the phone...just looking for a safe way to do that without disrupting what's stored in Match (i.e., in the cloud).

Anyone...?

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Have you listened to any of those songs over iTunes match? If so, then my response applies. If not, I am assuming it is either a glitch OR you somehow have set in settings that those songs should be synced/stored on the device.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Deleting songs on the phone does not affect iTunes Match in any way. Also, iTunes Match is discussed more frequently in the iOS5 forum.

From the day iTunes Match was released we've all had to figure this stuff out for ourselves and some of the posts from around that time describe how it works. As you've seen, there is still a lot of confusion on how it actually works.

9. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

As noted above, only six.

Settings are set *not* to sync/store music on the device....which I guess leaves us with "glitch." :confused:

:::whew!::: That's what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks! Headed that way next....

No question there. It's a huge departure from the way things were--didn't seem that Apple documented the service in enough detail initially, which led to all the obvious confusion.

Thanks to both of you--much appreciated!

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Apologies. Terminology can be tough and interpreted differently. So you have only listened to six songs. Check. Would you happen to have any playlists or have any of those songs as part of playlists?