iTunes Match off to a shaky start.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chumburro2U, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

iTunes Match is loading songs that I deleted many moons ago. I thought that it would just scan what I have in my computer library and go from there. Now I have to go over my whole library, song by song, to delete what I already deleted before. Also, I thought Match would be like iTunes Plus and place songs in the correct playlists while I delete the lower bitrate song when I check for duplicates. I just wish that iTunes Match would have showed me BEFORE I purchased it, what songs that it had "matched". :mad:

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Is it finding deleted music you ripped or bought from iTunes?

3. Chumburro2U thread starter macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

Yes, it is finding songs that I bought from iTunes years ago and Downloading them to my computer. Also, I deleted a song from my library (a lower bitrate version) but it still shows up greyed out. I didn't delete the cloud one though. Quick question. Am I correct in doing that? Deleting the lower bit rate songs and just keeping the cloud version? Thank you in advance.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes, you can delete it from your computer and just keep the iCloud version.

It appears that the autodownload settings do download past music purchases, when you turn on iTunes Match. Mine did the same thing.

5. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yeah, I have to agree with the OP that iTunes Match is off to a real shaky start. Some of my songs have the cloud next to them, some don't....I don't get it. I thought it would work as a good backup program.

6. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't think the service is off to a shaky start. I think the information on how it works is.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Try updating iTunes Match, under store.

8. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

It's probably my fault for not digging deeper w/ research before I signed up to try it out but Match really isn't going to work for me since it deletes your local library on the iPhone. I didn't know that. I live in NY so I'm underground in subways a lot, which is where I listen to music.

It would be great if you could keep your local library and also have access to the cloud when there's internet. Otherwise, Free Spotify lets me listen to most of my music library at my work computer. Hopefully it'll evolve over time into something better.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You can add a local library back.

10. E3BK, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

How? Just resync? I have Match enabled on my iPad and the only option is to sync voice memos. Would you download it directly to the iPhone by clicking on the cloud? Downloading all the individual songs you want to keep locally would take a long time :(

(EDIT: I found the download all button for playlists which is nice but how do you sync or change diff playlists? Lots of questions for me have answered still. lol. So for now, I'm keeping my iPhone music local until I figure some of this out.)

Also..eeek! I just tried to update one of my Genius playlists and it deleted all but the main song from the list. I tried creating a new one by choosing the song from the main library and hitting the Genius button but no new Genius playlist was created. Anyone else see this or having this problem?

11. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Seems to be getting better. If you click on update iTunes match it rescans and in my case matched a lot more songs

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No genius, but it will autosync new playlists from one device to another.

13. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

That is a bummer. Seems like something they should have made a little more clear. It's not even included in the footnotes that you lose this function.

14. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I agree that the information on how it works is bad at best, maybe someone here with more knowledge can tell us exactly how it works??