iTunes Match Pricing - Per year for the rest of your life?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imacericg, Jun 7, 2011.

1. imacericg macrumors regular

When I do the iTunes match, do I have to pay $24.99 per year for the rest of my life to use the new files?

Or is it a one-time cost and I can perform an iTunes match for a year?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

The phrase "per Year" means you have to pay that every year. But that is only for your ripped music to be in the cloud. You can stop paying at any time and still have your iTunes purchased music in the iCloud for free and your ripped music on your laptop.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Basically you're paying apple 25 bucks a year so you can store your purchased music on their servers and sync them to your devices.

4. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I know this is all hypothetical at thsi stage.

If Match provides you with AAC DRM songs, I would think if I converted my library in 1 year and cancelled Match then those songs able to be converted with Match would remain. I can apprciate the uploaded songs that iTunes doesn't carry going away, but how would it practically differentiate between a purchased DRM free song and a Match song and why would they other than to suck your $24.99 for life?

I would hate to see Apple go all $$ hungry and become exactly what they faught in the 1980's.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

No, you're paying $25 per year to store the music you RIPPED on their server. Music you purchased is free.

7. johnryjr macrumors regular

So when my ripped music is matched, i can re-download from the cloud in iTunes format. Is this the same as purchasing it from iTunes? Will it then count as an iTunes purchase? I downloaded a few things from the cloud and they show up in iTunes as a purchase with a purchase date as the date i re-downloaded it. In essence, does if I download a matched song from the cloud, will it then not count against the free 5gb?

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I don't think it will allow you to download new versions of the music you ripped. The version from the cloud will be of higher quality then you ripped, but won't be downloadable. Thus you can listen to it from the cloud, but the version on your hard disk will be the same as it has always been. (this is speculation though)

9. johnryjr macrumors regular

That would make sense, but as of now there is no streaming from the cloud. You would download music to your device from the cloud.

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Hmmm... interesting, wonder how that is going to work.

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think Apple's logic here is to get people to change their habits from buying/ripping CDs to buying from iTunes.

So if you have a large library of songs ripped from CDs and most of them are available from iTunes, then you have a year to perform your iTunes Match on them. Once you've done that, you cancel the $25/yr subscription and you still keep your Matched songs, after all, they carry the same benefits of iTS purchases (at least that's how I interpreted Jobs' comments).

I guess they figure that either you'll stop buying CDs and start buying iTunes (win for Apple), or you continue to buy CDs and keep paying the $25 (win for Apple). As long as you continue use iTunes, Apple wins. The record companies also win since they get paid whether you buy from iTunes or buy CDs ... plus they get a cut of the $25.

12. iKennett macrumors 6502

Also read it this way as you have to be able to re-download your music... but if you can't match your music what would happen then. Will you lose this if you cancel match service or once uploaded will they stay there?

I'm gonna guess that iTunes Match will know what was bought from iTunes as what wasn't... it will find a way to mark a track as 'iTunes Match' and 'iTunes Bought'. That was after your sub goes anything on iCloud that is tagged as 'iTunes Match' will disappear.

13. iKennett macrumors 6502

You can as that is part of the reason for the service. You don't listen to your music from the cloud as no streaming service is there (currently).

14. ibis99 macrumors regular

No Lossless!

Although iCloud is a great idea the lack of Lossless format is a big turnoff to me.

256kb just does not cut it for me. I do not have a problem paying the $25 per year, but the choice of file format should be up to me not Apple.