iTunes Match won't download a song to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RDAR, Sep 4, 2013.

1. RDAR macrumors 6502

So I downloaded a song to my iPad from iTunes Match and everything went smoothly. I tried downloading the same song to my iPhone and it always gives me the error "Unable to download song". I've been trying to download it numerous times for the past 3 days and it won't work.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Have you tried quitting the Music app? Restarting your phone?

3. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I have this same problem. I can get them to DL to my iPad no problem. But I get the can't download error message on the iPhone for hundreds of songs, including some purchased from iTunes.

I've turned the phone on and off, iTunes Match on and off, rebooted the phone, etc. No joy.

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Are you trying over WiFi or cell? I know if you try over cellular you need to turn that on. I found this out one day trying to do this.

5. CoriG macrumors 6502

I have had this problem over and over again on my iphone5s. I have tried contacting itunes support and they are no help.

Here is what I did: Turn off itunes match (in settings) and restart your device. Turn itunes match back on and then try downloading it. If that does not work, go to the itunes store then more then to go downloads. If you are still getting that error message when you try to tap download, then delete the song from your list (by swiping the left from the left side of the song). Then go to your music library and find the song you want to download and try to re download it.

good luck!

6. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Definitely over wifi. I have 5 bars and am 10 feet from the AirPort Extreme so it's not for lack of connectivity...

I actually just went nuclear and reset my phone completely. When the restore is done I'll give it another try. If that doesn't work I'll try your suggestions corig thanks!

7. Terrified macrumors regular

Similar issues here - I find it won't download some songs on my iPhone, but will on my Mac/iPad. Also find that if I'm 'streaming' an album (ie playing without clicking the download button), it will frequently skip over the same songs.

Also finding the iCloud 'download' icons disappear frequently too. Bit frustrating. I love iTunes match, but it seems to be really flaky of late.

8. anthonymoody, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Well, the nuclear option seems to have worked. All my apps and stuff are still being downloaded from the backup, so I'm reluctant to try to download thousands of songs at the moment. However, the one test song I tried worked. I couldn't download it previously but got it to download just now.

I will report back after my back up is completely restored and I can stress it by trying to download a ton.

EDIT: having the same issue now, not clear why. I can't seem to swipe delete songs individually for some reason. Went into iTunes Store, more, downloads as suggested. It shows 1900 items there (!) so they are now downloading... I hope.