ITunes Match??? worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-evil-x, Jun 28, 2012.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

for 25 a year is it worth it? I saw that iOS 6 will be doing streaming from your library at home to iPhone/ipad and i think that would be worth it to save space on the phone. Also having two appletv's i can use it on there too.
    Does it work for movies also? i have over 300 movies in my iTunes.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Realize that it will eat through your data plan in no time, so it's something extra to think about if you have a limited plan.

Conversely, if you have spotty coverage, it won't always be reliable.

Of course, if you're nearly always around WiFi, I'm sure having that kind of access could be a godsend.

3. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

does this only work over wi-fi? yea seems like spending 100 more on a 64 gig phone might be worth it in the long run and not get this. No using my data plan. even though its on unlimited ATT I'm not sure if it will change switching to a lte phone. if i can stream movies that might be worth it alone though.

4. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It does work over WiFi. Great for parties and the like. I have my entire iTunes library available on my phone. I do not download songs over 3G being as I have a limited data plan. For me the $25 is worth it.

As the previos poster mentioed, it cannot stream movies.

6. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

ahh thats a deal breaker. ill just load my songs onto the phone. The no movie streaming is crappy.

7. Xengo macrumors newbie

You could use home sharing to stream movies from your iTunes library to your Apple TVs (provided they're on the same wi-fi network), which has no requirement for you to purchase Match.

I think Match is worth the annual price; I have a 64 GB 4S, but will only get a 16 GB of the next iteration as that's plenty of music for when on the road.

8. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I was at an AT&T store the other day, I got a pay-as-you-go plan on my old iPhone 3G for my 13 year old, and I asked about my unlimited plan. The guy told me that if I go to LTE, or Android, or whatever, that I will always have my unlimited plan as long as I maintain continual service.

On the iTunes Match issue, I have a 16 gig phone and about 45 gigs of music alone in my library. At night I sync different playlists for the next days listening. In July I will be flying top San Diego for 2 months and will not have access to my music library. I plan on buying iTunes match so that I can access my music at night in the hotel on wifi so I can sync my phone overnight. In that case it will be worth it.

9. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

the fact that all my music is backed up on the cloud and not on an hdd its worth it in my opinion. plus 25 dls a years means nothing :D

10. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

I use iTunes Match all the time on my drive to work, so it does work on 3G as well as wifi.

11. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

AT&T throttles you after 3 GB's.

12. Junkdumpster macrumors newbie

I'd have to give a resounding yes to this question, which is saying a lot coming from someone as cheap as I am.

I signed up for the service shortly after buying an Apple TV and an iPad because I wanted to really sync my devices (I also have an iPhone). Since then, I've sold my ATV and have almost stopped using my iPad, and still think its an incredible thing to have.

I have a limited data plan and have never even attempted to use streaming as a substitute for having a fraction of my library on my phone. However, where I've found it really useful is on my PC's. I recently bought a netbook to accompany my power laptop, and rather than back up all my music and load it onto the netbook, I was able to just pick what I wanted and download it straight from within iTunes. It was also a lifesaver when that power laptop crashed and I would have lost my music otherwise.

Plus, it upgraded all of my crappy, ill-gained music files to a higher quality.

$25.00 a year for that huge amount of storage, easily accessible on so many devices is a steal. Especially compared to the high cost of living in Apple's ecosystem.

13. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I know that, I get throttled every month. But I never get over charged.

14. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I wouldn't bother. Lot of bugs. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get it setup. It's also maddening how at least 1 song from every album doesn't get matched even tho every other song does. If you change a tag forget about it you now have 2 copies of the same song in your library. In ios 6 it's a little better but still they have a lot of work to do.

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That's the part I don't get either :mad:

16. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Yeah obviously. It still really sucks.

17. HenryHealy macrumors member

I know that $25 a year seems a little steep considering all its doing is backing up all of your music basically. I think that its worth it though because if you get a new computer, its really easy to get all of your music. I'll be getting a Mac in a few weeks and I'm glad I have Match now.