iTunes Match

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eric/, Jan 1, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

Recently got an 8gb iPhone. I have iTunes match and would like to basically stream my music, and not have it stored locally on the phone. It's ok if I even have to download and delete it later, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this and I want to make sure it's not deleted from iTunes match but just the phone. Any help/advice?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Turn on iTunes Match on your iPhone. It'll delete all the music on it at the moment but then just re-download the stuff you need.

3. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is iTunes match worth it? How much does it cost

4. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

No that's not what I mean. Maybe I've worded my problem incorrectly. What I need to be able to do is to delete it from my phone at any time, but not let it get deleted from iTunes Match, because of the limited storage capacity of my iPhone. It's probably something really simple, but I just got my iPhone today so I'm not sure and figured this would be the best place to get an answer.

As to whether iTunes Match is worth it. Not sure, probably not for me since I don't purchase anything on iTunes, just like to have my large library in the cloud for me to grab at any time.

5. guinness8878 macrumors member

guinness8878

iTunes match is worth it to me to have all my music readily available at any time. You're music is stored in iTunes match on servers thru iTunes on your home computer. You can delete and add them from there, when you stream a song from your phone it will download to the device and can be deleted from the device and stay in iCloud to be re-streamed again at anytime.

6. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Ok that's what I hoped/figured. But where do I delete the song from? I know it's probably really easy but I looked through the iTunes and Music apps and couldn't find it.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

iTunes Match does not delete the music already on your phone.

8. guinness8878 macrumors member

guinness8878

The songs show up in the iPod app just as they would when the music is stored locally. Only difference is music in the cloud has a cloud to the right of it, music on there does not. Just swipe right to left and "delete" pops up, press delete and the cloud shows back up and it's deleted from the phone and it's visible to be downloaded again with a cloud next to it again. To dowload the song just press the cloud or press the song title itself to play it while it downloads.

9. eric/, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Ok that worked, perfect. It's not very intuitive, surprisingly. Especially since u can't delete it from the artist menu, but have to go to the song menu.

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

how much is iTunes match? I've been thinking about this option. I like having my music local so that I can listen to it, uninterrupted, in my office where my signal is low... but this iTunes match would allow me access to a much greater selection of music.

11. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

$25 per year. It's really not that bad, pennies per day.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

$24.95 per year. iTunes match only matches what you've already got in your music collection.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Thanks guys.

Yeah, i think I understand what it does (keyword *think* lol). It would still allow me access to my entire music library since my iPhone is only 16GB.

Either way, my next iPhone is going to be 32GB+.

Tiill then, iTunes match sounds good to me.

14. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

It does delete the music already on your phone.

15. dnw1987 macrumors member

I'm having trouble remembering, but doesn't iTunes match puts the album cover on those songs that don't have them originally? Also wasn't it supposed to fix the quality of the mp3s, I have some scratched up CDs that I ripped and I though imatch would get a better version but it still has the recording with the skips in it.

16. iTorment macrumors member

iTorment

iTunes Match is great in the sense of upgrading music to a higher bit rate, which was the main draw in me purchasing it. However, iTunes Match on my iOS devices irk me, it still feels like a beta product, and the drain on the battery was also annoying. Until Apple improves the experience on devices, I'm not using it on my i-devices.

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Not what you've manually synced.

18. wonderspark, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

The music I had on my phone prior to starting up iTunes Match was still there, but loads new stuff on as I play it. I learned something new reading this thread... I couldn't figure out how to delete song, either... never thought of the swipe to side in song list. Can you say *not* intuitive? Maybe someday Apple will let you swipe a whole artist or album to delete. That would be nice, since manually swiping through 934 songs sucks.

I also don't dig how some songs are not eligible to load on my old iPod. If they're not cloud eligible (for whatever reason) then it won't let me put it on my iPod Photo. (Remember those old things?)

Back to iPhone and iTunes Match / iCloud... What I wonder is what happens if I never delete any songs, and I finally reach the 16GB capacity. Does it pick a song to delete (maybe oldest since played) and delete them as needed to make room?

Nevermind: This thread shows how to delete all at once.

19. bigrv1 macrumors newbie

I have purchased iMatch and added my non-iTunes songs to the iCloud. Can I add new songs from non-iTunes cd's on an on-going basis?

20. mstrze macrumors 68000

It hasn't deleted my synced music.

And why does anyone feel the need to manually delete songs after you have listened to them? If Match needs more space, won't it delete them automatically?

It just seems like a lot of people think they need to micro-manage their iPhone when, in fact, it just works. :)