iTunes moved to NAS but defaults to original media location

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mowgli21, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Mowgli21 macrumors regular

Hi

I have been running out of space on my iMac for my iTunes library so i took the plunge and bought a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. I created an iTunes Music folder and changed the iTunes media location to the music folder on the NAS. I then consolidated my library so it all copied across to the NAS.

But when i restart my iMac iTunes defaults to the original iTunes media folder. Is there anyway to get it to stick to the NAS folder? So when i add new music it saves on the NAS?

Thanks guys

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

you need to make sure the NAS is mounted on your desktop before you launch iTunes.

3. Mowgli21 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to ask but how would i do that?

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

the NAS will have had to be mounted in order to create the iTunes music folder on it. i don't have a NAS so just do what you did when you created the music folder.

you can have the NAS mount automatically @ startup by adding it to your startup items. go system preferences > accounts > login items and add it using the little "+" sign.

5. ontheplains macrumors newbie

I just posted a similar problem.

The difference is that mine is on an different internal drive from the original and though I copied the files and changed the folder location, then restarted the iTunes and my computer, it keeps looking in the original location...even though in preferences it's set to the new location.

I am very confused.