iTunes movie only plays on 3 of 5 of our ATV's???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by GhostMac24, Dec 24, 2013.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Current setup is 5 ATVs in the house. Just bought my wife the "It's a Wonderful Life" Blu-ray and put it in my iTunes library (MakeMKV and Handbrake conversion). The problem is it isn't playing on some of the ATVs. Keep getting the "error loading this content...try again later". I ran the MKV file through HB using the ATV3 setting. Just for giggles to see if it will play using the ATV2 setting, I re-ran it through HB with the ATV2 setting and it cropped it really weird (not only letterbox but also some small black bars top and bottom). This file will load on ALL the ATV units.

So, any idea what gives??? This is really odd since I have converted about 100 Blu-rays to date and this is the first one that has given me this issue.

Software is updated on all.

Works on the following room setups:
    Room 1: ATV3 & 1080p TV
    Room 2: ATV2 & 1080p TV
    Room 3: ATV2 & 1080p TV

Doesn't work on the following room setups:
    Room 4: ATV3 & 720p TV
    Room 5: ATV3 & 1080p TV

Attached Files:

2. DaPhatty macrumors member

See if MP4 Tools will create a more compatible file. Unlike handbrake, this will simply convert your MKV file to an MP4 without re-encoding so the process should take only a few minutes. Worth a try.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools/mp4toolshome.html

3. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

But will it still be 37gb instead of the 8gb that HB took it to? Thanks for the input!

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Yes. You'd be just re-wrapping it from mkv container into mpeg-4 container. The video data (stream) remains the same.
    In my experience HandBrake has constantly been producing the most compatible files for AppleTV.
    PS If I were you, I'd also update HB to latest version - 0.9.9

5. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Agreed. It's odd that this one file won't play on 2 of the 5 ATV's. I thought maybe it was a TV issue or an ATV issue but I have both combinations working and not working. Once I saw it was not playing on the 1080p TV with an ATV3, I got stumped.

I don't want to have darn near 40gb files though so I'll download the latest HB and re-rip it to see what happens. It's odd though.