iTunes movie rentals and 5.5 iPod video

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Stampyhead, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Just in case anyone was wondering, the iTunes movie rentals will not work on the 5.5G video iPod. I tried it last night as a test and iTunes scolded me and said it wouldn't work. Kind of too bad, but I'm sure there was some reason that they had to do it that way.

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Disappoints me also. I've been telling my kids how cool it was that we could rent movies from iTunes and watch them on our Apple TV or their iPods.

Since they have 5G and 5.5G iPods, it looks like this won't work.

I was HOPING that MAYBE there would be a firmware update to allow you to watch rented movies on them, but who knows...

3. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That would be nice, but I'm not counting on it. I can just watch them on my iPhone anyway, but I feel bad for everyone out there, like your kids, who don't own compatible iPods.
    Perhaps it's time to put their 5.5s' on Ebay and get them 3G Nanos!

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Since Jobs said a the Keynote "current iPods" I don't see why anyone thought it would work.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It's not that big of a deal, but it is easy to miss when you listen to the keynote...

6. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Where can you find a list of the devices that the rentals will play on? I have not seen the keynote yet. I would like to know if it will work on my iPod...I think not, but I want to make sure...Its a video, but I don't know which one it is...:eek:

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, I think the issue might be that the MR Live coverage said it would work with the 5G... or at least implied that. I want to say it either said 5/5.5G specifically or it said "all video capable iPods" or something like that. I can't remember exactly, but I definitely getting the impression that rentals would work on my 5G while reading the live MR coverage.

I'm not saying that Apple/Steve gave this impression, but that the news filtered through the text coverage here did. Is there a way to get the transcript of MRs feed?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But then what defines "current"? The average consumer would have no idea whether their iPod is current or not.

9. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I am not necessarily the average consumer, but that would still be me in this case...:eek:

10. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

The average consumer isnt the intended audience of the keynote either.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You see what I'm getting at. The "5.5" iPods are still sold (maybe not on Apple's site, but elsewhere) and it would be safe to assume that since no "iPod" has been released since (only Nano, Classic, Shuffle and Touch) that it is the latest model of the generic "iPod" line.

Of course, Stampy's testing proves that this is not the case.

12. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

So nothing from 5.5 back will work with the rentals then?:confused:

13. grouper macrumors regular

my guess is that apple COULD release an update so earlier models will play the rentals, but they probably wont. its not a huge deal, but it would have been nice. i mean, my ipod isnt even four months old yet.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

When did you buy it? If it was before Sept. then you have an older one that apparently will not work. If it was after then - chances are that it will.

Easiest way to tell, is it a Touch or is the case made of rounded metal? If not, then it won't work.

15. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I actually didn't think it would work, but someone in a different thread asked if it would and so I thought, since I have a 5.5G anyway and I already downloaded a few rentals I would give it a try and let people know one way or the other.

I'm willing to bet that it will work only on the current generation Nano and Classic, Touch, iPhone and Apple TV. 5.5G and before will not work.

16. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

yeah, I bought it before September, so it definitely won't work...that suck...oh well, I want an Apple TV anyway...