iTunes Movies: Are Apple TV and Front Row my only alternatives?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by notjustjay, Mar 2, 2010.

1. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

So I want to buy my TV shows from the iTunes Store. I also have the odd movie I bought from iTunes (sometimes they have $4.99 sales).

I want to play these on my TV.

Are the Apple TV, or a Mac Mini running Front Row, my only options?

I read a lot of good things about Boxee and Plex, but neither seem to support iTunes purchased video files.

I'm also in Canada, where Hulu, Netflix, etc. are not available so this limits my options considerably. :( Otherwise, ditching the iTunes store would be that much more tempting.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Any reasonable computer running itunes and with a suitably cabled hookup to your TV will do the job just fine.

3. notjustjay thread starter macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, I was thinking in terms of the on-screen interface. Apple TV and Front Row both look decent, but fall well short of the options and abilities provided by the newer streaming apps... which of course don't support iTunes movies.

Perhaps the solution is to use an Apple TV, patched with Boxee, but switch between interfaces depending on what I am in the mood to watch.

4. downinitjr macrumors member

After years of converting movies for the TV, I've finally switched to a mini running plex - and love it. But will not do you any good considering your talking about DRM'd content.

5. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

Though I've heard that this is only true if the content in question is DRM-free. Buy or rent a movie through iTunes and Plex will not play it.

I'm a huge fan of Plex, but I've never gone that route because of that little limitation. For some the issue is insignificant.

BTW...I too have been hoping to find a "10ft Interface" that competes with that of the AppleTV and Front Row.

Nathan