Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
If I rent a movie or TV show from iTunes on the iPad, am I able to stream it immediately (similar to the Apple TV) or do I have to wait until the entire file is downloaded before I can begin playing it?

I sure hope it is the former, but for some reason I doubt it is.

Akme

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I bought an HD copy of Iron Man over the weekend on my iPad, and was unable to stream, I had to wait for the download to finish. Perhaps I didn't tap the right thing, or something, but my impression is that you have to wait.

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
That kind of sucks. I imagine it might take some 40 minutes to download.

Akme

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
A lot of the HD movies are 3gb+ in size so it definitely can take a while, but, of course, it all depends on your connection speed.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I am going to complain to my isp, I think. There are no alternatives where I live, but I pay for pretty fast Internet, yet it's taking me 5 hours to download a two hour HD film...

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
Pity cuz podcasts on the iPad play immediately if you choose to stream it instead of downloading. I don't download my podcasts much anymore, I just watch stream them unless it's a long one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.