iTunes Music Store Now Accepts PayPal

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple's giving away 2 and a half million songs to PayPal users. Lucky bums.

I don't think they'll let you switch to get the free songs if you're already an iTunes customer, but who knows?

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
I had high hopes..

But no.. Even though I have a PayPal-account, I did not get to use it since it's Norwegian.. I had big hopes that it wouldn't check the country in your PayPal-account..

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I was able to create a new iTunes account with my PayPal account and get 5 free songs! yay!

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
guys...think.........5 songs........5 dollars...... seriously.....crazy how silly little gimmicks attract people nowadays :eek:

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
studip fgrigg@!@#!#@

it says my paypal account cannot be verified?

WTFR??A?SDA??DSA

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
CubaTBird said:
guys...think.........5 songs........5 dollars...... seriously.....crazy how silly little gimmicks attract people nowadays :eek:
Hey, 5 dollars is 5 dollars. :p

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
LoL i was always waiting to get more thanone free song with a giveaway before i ever signed up with apple.

5 is sufficient. i got it to work

i am not downloading the songs yet, and i am relatively happy.

gimmick..yes..effective...yes..itunes is good anyway, i just never wanted to set it up and lose my money.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
this is great news, i've often wondered what to do when i've had just a few bucks in my paypal account

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Ugh. Not sure how I feel about this. What is the benefits of using paypal to pay for iTunes? I can now hi-jack someones paypal account and buy itunes with it? Go out looting a bunch of stuff, sell it on ebay, except paypal, Buy iTunes!

I dont know, eBay and paypal have been heading downwards, not sure how this helps Apple.

Laurent

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Montréal, Québec
Wow, what a great idea! I use Paypal for the majority of my internet transactions, and the idea of using it with iTMS please me. Will this be available in Canada also, or will we have to wait a year and a half?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
This is the absolutely perfect opportuntity for the rest of the world to get access to ITMS via verified credit cards and Paypal, and this offer is USA only. There really is no excuse for Apple now. Sure antifraud reasons may have limited the user base to parts of the world BUT with Paypal to cover this risk they could open it up to all english speakers right now with minimum risk. Sure UK users might go cheaper by buying directly from the States, and they might find launching new stores having less fanfair and sales, but so what? This would push the world wide sales of the iPod for English speakers in Australia, NZ, Ireland as well as those wanting English music throughout Asia (a HUGE market). Oh well.... :rolleyes:

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Koodauw said:
Ugh. Not sure how I feel about this. What is the benefits of using paypal to pay for iTunes? I can now hi-jack someones paypal account and buy itunes with it? Go out looting a bunch of stuff, sell it on ebay, except paypal, Buy iTunes!

I dont know, eBay and paypal have been heading downwards, not sure how this helps Apple.
I'm pretty sure they have some kind of a system that makes it hard to hijack paypal accounts.. otherwise the service wouldn't be so popular. I think this is just great news, because in finland for instance it's pretty hard to get a credit card unless you have good incomes. Luckily visa electron works with iTMS. anyway I guess this is good especially thinking about the younger customers (who now are the ones downloading the tracks off gnutella/torrent).

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
aswitcher said:
This is the absolutely perfect opportuntity for the rest of the world to get access to ITMS via verified credit cards and Paypal, and this offer is USA only. There really is no excuse for Apple now. Sure antifraud reasons may have limited the user base to parts of the world BUT with Paypal to cover this risk they could open it up to all english speakers right now with minimum risk. Sure UK users might go cheaper by buying directly from the States, and they might find launching new stores having less fanfair and sales, but so what? This would push the world wide sales of the iPod for English speakers in Australia, NZ, Ireland as well as those wanting English music throughout Asia (a HUGE market). Oh well.... :rolleyes:
The reason iTunes is limited to some parts of the world is due to copyright issues (the fact that copyright in the same work might be held by different "owners" in different jurisdictions), and accepting PayPal is irrelevant to that.

dotmike

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2004
narco said:
I would have been excited about this, but Paypal has totally gone downhill as of late.
They had a day-long outage and you've written them off?

Do you know just how large PayPal is? I was at an internet conference for online transactions and the head guru of PayPal's operations was speaking. The guy is permanently stressed!

There is no one pushing the envelope as hard as them. You may think it is trivial to just set up a web site that manages a virtual wallet, but the sheer volume of activity as absolutely mindblowing. The fact that it works at all is impressive, but that it does work with so few outages is mind-blowing.

The biggest pisser-off for PayPal is number of disputes they have to settle. That isn't the systems fault, but certain people's devious natures, and PayPal bears the brunt of people's anger.

Still 56 million people every day are relatively satisfied.

rjgjonker

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2001
Moneybookers

It would have been nice if they had supported Moneybookers, or something else that you can actually use without having a credit card.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Paypal sucks... I've had to take them to the better businee bureau before... enough said.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
The first 500,000 customers to open a new iTunes account in the US using PayPal as their form of payment before March 31, 2005, will receive five free songs.
So presumably, I can't just switch my existing account to use PayPal and get the free songs. I have to open a second one, right? Or has anyone tried it with their existing account.

Not much of a big deal to open a new account, but kind of annoying to have to track two accounts then. But hey, 5 songs is 5 songs... :D :rolleyes:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Well I'm out of luck on this offer. I already have an iTunes account and a PayPal account.