Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I just recently installed High Sierra on my headless Mac Mini server; however, whenever I play music from my IPad Nano then close screen sharing, after that song ends, iTunes stop playing. If I open screen sharing again, even without logging in, it continues to the next song...then stop again after that song ends if I close screen sharing. Is this a bug? That defeats having a headless server...I could do that since I have had my server going on five years now.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I was coming to post about exactly the same problem. Exactly.

I'm running iTune 12.7.1.14 on a MacMini 'Mid 2011', 2.3GHz i5, 8GB RAM, MacOS 10.13.1.

Anyone else? And any suggestions?

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
It looks like it's a part of the original bug: System hangs when locking screen and resuming it on again, from the beta period. Also, check to make sure Controls >Shuffle >off...each reboot it's on by default.

Reactions: danmart

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
That’s a major bummer as my Mini is set to reboot every night...

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll start digging too

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I spoke with support this morning, and I have no chose other than what you suggested or reinstall Sierra...sadly. Hope Apple fixes that as that's the essence of having iTunes...if I wanted to play all songs that's on my iPad connected to my Mac Mini server 24/7/365 continuously as I have been doing for the last four years...I should be able to, regardless if the server is headless. So, the work around is to use Quicktime to loop...I haven't tried that yet...not sure I care to either.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Does a reinstall help?

Not sure what you're meaning...the OS, by design, is supposed to do what's it's doing according to Apple's support...a reinstall would produce the exact same result.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Not sure what you're meaning...the OS, by design, is supposed to do what's it's doing according to Apple's support...a reinstall would produce the exact same result.

Ah, you put as an option to downgrade from High Sierra to Sierra. Got it. Not what I wanna do as facing similar issues.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Ah, you put as an option to downgrade from High Sierra to Sierra. Got it. Not what I wanna do as facing similar issues.

That's exactly what I said to Apple Support...I already upgraded and don't want to roll back (forward ever, backwards never). Apple needs to fix it as they made a stupid assumption knowing (their own research according to Steve Jobs) that most people buy the Mac Mini to use as a headless home server.

I also just tried QuickTime, and it doesn't see songs on the iPad Nano...just calendar, notes, and contacts (digital rights management).

I wondered whether importing into iTunes library would resolve...doubt because the issue is closing the screen.

Last edited:

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Hmm. My problem is slightly different, then. I am playing from a local iTunes library on a RAID attached to my Mini via Thunderbolt. And I get the issue with playback stopping.

So a local library certainly won’t help.

What spec is your Mini?

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Hmm. My problem is slightly different, then. I am playing from a local iTunes library on a RAID attached to my Mini via Thunderbolt. And I get the issue with playback stopping.

So a local library certainly won’t help.

What spec is your Mini?

Well, if that's the case, it seems then that the issue is having a device connected, whether it's thunderbolt or USB3. Maybe the screen displaying is apart of the mountpoint for devices...bummer! At least, Internet radio isn't affected...I am using that as a substitute for play music in my home at those times I can't share the screen.

I have the late 2012 Mac Mini with dual i5, 16GB RAM and 128GB SSD. I have had that iPad Nano filled with motivational talk since 2005 and it still going...surely miss waking up hearing it.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Sadly, not even the Internet radio continuously plays...at some point, the OS checks for display...I went to bed with Internet radio playing and woke up to silence...as soon as, I opened my laptop and launched screen sharing; Internet radio plays...again even without me logging in.

Steve Jobs must be fuming at his mouth in his grave!

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Have you tried the new version of iTunes yet? I am away from my kit for the next couple of days but will try it ASAP.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
It would seem so not.

i’m now running macOS 10.13.2 and iTunes 10.7.2.58 and playback is as it should be still failing, but will run for longer before halting. Boo! :(

Last edited:

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Streaming internet radio seems to continue uninterrupted, which is good. But playback from external drive stops after a couple of tracks.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Also, I can pull media from iTunes and the RAID if I use one of my ATVs to request it; that plays uninterrupted.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Here we go again after 10.13.2, WTF! Then tried to roll back just iTunes and got "you can't it's a part of the system." So, every upgrade it seems that this will happen...Apple is pissing off one of its great fan!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.