iTunes on Mac: AirPlay For Movies Not Working (Music Works but not Movies)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappyDude20, Dec 13, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I love AirPlay. I use it on my iPod Touch the moment I get home to play music to my speakers connected via AirPort Express.

I use it on my iPad too when i'm watching a movie..

Even on my MBP when listening to music from iTunes. But Movies in iTunes don't work. The AirPlay icon in a movie playing in iTunes only shows "computer" and doesn't show any other options.

Help?

I'm lost here! :p:p

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Don't think you get it.

AirPlay for Video requires the new black Apple TV. And you can then stream video direct from an iOS (iPhone, Touch, iPad) device to the Apple TV.

AirTunes is what was built into iTunes and allowed you to stream music from your Mac to speakers connected to an Airport Express, an Apple TV (new or old) or multiple locations.

With AirPlay you can still stream audio from you Mac and iTunes to multiple locations. And you can do the same with an iOS device. I think you need the newer Apple TV to be able to stream from an iOS device otherwise you would just use Apple Remote iApp.

However, to play video, you can only stream from an iOS device to a new Apple TV. If you want to watch video, that content must be in iTunes, and then you simply use the Apple TV controls to stream it. But you can't push it from the computer side of things.

Hope that helps.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

You're totally right, I'm sorry I meant to say AirTunes.

AirTunes, streaming music from either my iPad or iPod to my Speakers connected via airport express works great. Including streaming audio from a movie playing on either iOS device.

However, when it comes to iTunes on my Mac, I can easily stream music from iTunes to those speakers connected via AE, however cannot stream the audio from a movie playing in ITunes on my Mac to those AE connected speakers.

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Apple says it doesn't make sense to just listen to a movie, therefor you can't do that.

I would really like to listen to my rock concert m4v tracks myself. Does anyone know a workaround?

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

AirTunes is just AirPlay now. It just happens to both audio and video or audio only.

The problem is that AirPlay is more integrated and better on iOS devices right now than it is on Macs.

When I'm watching a movie on my iPod Touch, I can use AirPlay to stream the audio only to my speakers connected to my AirPort Express. That way, I'm watching the movie on my iPod Touch, but the sound is coming from my AE speakers instead of my iPod.

However, I can't do the same in iTunes. I can only stream both video+audio to the new Apple TV 2. If I want to watch a movie on my Mac, but use the speakers connected to my AirPort Express instead of my Mac's built-in speakers, I have to physically connect the speakers to my Mac. I can't just AirPlay the audio only from iTunes while watching the movie on my computer like I can on the iPod Touch. Which is just silly. When iOS can do it, I should be able to do that with iTunes or Quicktime X (without having to pay for Airfoil). I should be able to stream audio only from a movie to AE speakers.

I'm hoping it'll come in an iTunes update (10.2?) or at worst it'll come in Lion.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

For a few years now I have had a great program called AirFoil by Rogue Amoeba that allows you to stream audio from any app to any AirTunes speaker. I use it to listen to streaming NHL and NFL games, and other QT or Safari audio. Works great.

7. waynep macrumors 6502

I found this thread today . . I bought a Airport Express to hook up some speakers as we have two MBP's. Audio works great, but I found I can't watch a movie on my MBP and listen to the audio through the Airplay speakers.

I can do just that with my iPod Touch . . Don't know why Apple thinks that's something that does not make sense.

8. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

The thing that gets me upset is that this feature used to work before on my Mac. I'd be able to stream audio from a movie playing from iTunes on my Mac.

Can't seem to do that anymore. Not the biggest issue in the world but hate that that functionality is gone.

I'm sure they bring it back to lion. To bring it back to the Mac.

9. waynep macrumors 6502

I hope so . . I have a 17" MBP so watching a movie on it is not bad from a screen size POV.