iTunes plays individual songs but not entire album

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qian12, Sep 22, 2008.

1. qian12 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am having an issue with playing two of my recently added albums. Usually, I can just go to the cover flow and pick an album and play all of the songs in succession from 1 to whatever. With the new ones I've added, however, when I try this it doesn't play anything and the song says 1 of 0. I can, however, go into the album on my iPod and play the individual songs one by one. I've checked in iTunes to make sure all the songs have the same Artist, Album, Date, and Composer. The songs are also listed by track number from 1 to 16. Even after that, my iPod still does not recognize the album. Any idea why I can't play the album as a whole?

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Are the check boxes next to the songs ticked? If not, iTunes will only play one song at a time.

3. qian12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes they are. It is also a gapless album...I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

4. qian12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I need to be a little more clear. All my tracks are in iTunes. The issue is that if I sort by album in grid view and try to play an album, iTunes should play all the tracks within that album from track 1 to track 2 and so on granted that shuffle is not on. This works for all the albums except the most recently added ones. For some reason, if I try to play the album, iTunes does nothing and plays nothing. If I go into list view, however, I can play each individual song.

This also occurs in my iPod after syncing it with iTunes. If I sort by album and try to play the entire album, my iPod does nothing. Instead, another song title shows up with no album or artist info on the screen and it says track 1 of 0. I can, however, go into the same album and play the tracks individually. Then the correct title, album and artist shows up and it says track 1 of 1. It's strange because all the tracks are in the same album and the cover art shows up, but I cannot for the life of me get the album to play in succession.

5. Coprolite macrumors member

Using your earlier example of 16 tracks in an album, select all 16 tracks and get information (command-i). The track information should have Track { } of 16. The {} should be blank because you have 16 tracks selected with 16 different values. However, the total number of tracks in the album should be the same for all the tracks. It will display 16. If it doesn't, edit that field to reflect the number of tracks in the album, 16 in this case.

Go back and try to play them again and see if that helps. It wouldn't hurt to make sure that all the tracks have the exact same album name, also.

6. qian12 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I did all that...ensured that the tracks are numbered with the same total number of 16 and that each single track was numbered 1, 2,...etc. I ensured the same Artist, Composer, Year, and Album Title...and still ended with the same result. What I did find, however, is that if I uncheck the shuffle songs button, I can play the entire album in succession without problem.

This doesn't make any sense because I can play any other album whether the shuffle button is selected or unselected. The only difference is whether it shuffles all the songs in the album or just plays all of them in succession without shuffling.

This makes no sense to me.

7. matthewvogler macrumors newbie

Having similar problem

Hello
    This is my first time here. I am trying to figure out why my itunes music library only shows and plays the first song on an album. Every song in the library is checked and when I go to a playlist every song on the album is there.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Matt

8. sNiek macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem, just when I looked at the bottom left of the iTunes-screen I saw what happened:

A blue 'recycle' icon with the number 1 was displayed, after clicking it, it changed to a gray icon and the problem was solved.

These are the possibilties: [​IMG]

Hope this helps for people googling for this problem....

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want iTunes to play the entire album, all songs in the album must be checked.