iTunes plays new song if you try to resume after doing a search (wtf)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LTX, Sep 1, 2009.

1. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

Here is a bug/feature/easter egg that is driving me insane. If I start playing a song in iTunes, then do a search for another song that I want to play next (because I can't queue the song like in Winamp, I have to add it to a playlist, then play that), pause the song for whatever reason, then try to resume it, iTunes plays the first song in the list (of the search). Seriously, who came up with that idea? Is there really no way to resume my song unless I find it in the list again and hit play?

Found this, but the suggested fix (dock context menu) did the same thing.

</rant>

Thanks.

2. devburke Guest

It does this because when you’re looking at a list of songs and you hit play, the most obvious thing to do is play the list. If they switched the behavior, people would complain about that too.

Anyway, the good news is you can get around it, provided what you’re originally playing from OR what you’re searching are different playlists. For example, here, I’m playing from the playlist “Not Recently Played”:

Screen shot 2009-09-01 at 10.14.56 PM.png

So what I would first do here is double-click the icon of the playlist. This opens the playlist in a new iTunes window.

Screen shot 2009-09-01 at 10.15.29 PM.png

Now you’re free to search away in any other playlist, and if you pause the playlist from that window (note that “pausing” from the main window will actually STOP, while pausing from the playlist’s window will pause)…

Screen shot 2009-09-01 at 10.16.12 PM.png

…you can go back to that window and resume right where you left off, provided you didn’t play anything else in between. Again, be sure to click play in the playlist’s own window, as doing it in the main window will play whatever you have loaded up on that screen.

Also, going back to that playlist in the main window will close the second window, so be aware of that.

You could do something similar to this where you open the playlist you want to search in the second window (but you can only open playlists in second windows, so they have to be under the Playlists section header). You get the idea.

You should think about using Party Shuffle…I mean iTunes DJ. You can just let it do its own thing as much as you want and it’ll just be shuffling as normal, but you’re free to mess with the queue as much as you want. It gets really cool with what you can do with it from an iPod touch or iPhone, but that’s beside the point. I use it all the time.

3. LTX thread starter macrumors regular

LTX

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Use cmd + L to find the currently playing/paused song before hitting play again.