Itunes Prompts me to restore my unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HotCheetos, Oct 5, 2010.

1. HotCheetos macrumors newbie

I'm new, please don't bite my head off. I'm asking this question with the politest smile and look of concern.

So I have this unlock iphone 3g
    version = 4.0.1 (8A306)
    firmware 05.13.04

When i plug it into itunes, I get a prompt to restore the iphone back to it's factory settings. I have the newest version of itunes. is there anything that I can do outside of restoring my iphone? what will happen if I do restore it.

When i told my friend that I was going to restore it, she yelled at me and commanded me not to, however she couldn't tell me what would happen if I did.

Can someone please help me? I've been searching, but I suppose my search has been too specific because I haven't found any significant help.

2. Vick84 macrumors regular

Vick84

i think its had to do with your newest version of itunes. Just wait and someone with more info will reply.

also she doesnt want you to restore is because then you will lose your jailbreak/unlock...

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If you hit restore your phone wil be locked so you'll have to unlock it again.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Is your phone jailbroken? If so, you'll have to re-jailbreak when you restore.
    Did your unlock come from the jailbreak (software-based) or Apple? If it's Apple, then updating isn't a problem. However, you'll lose your software unlock with a restore. From the reaction of your friend, you probably have a software unlock.
    Don't ever update to 4.1. There doesn't seem to be an unlock available.
    Check to see if the dialog box has an option to keep Apple from asking you again. If so, check it. The number of people who've hit yes is astounding.