iTunes Radio - ad free if you subscribe but don't turn on iTunes Match?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Felder71, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Felder71 macrumors member

I'm hoping someone with the beta can answer this question for me.

I subscribe to iTunes Match but don't turn it on with all of my devices (like my iPhone). My iPhone does use the same Apple ID for iTunes as the account that has iTunes Match subscribed. I'm curious if I'll get an ad free iTunes Radio experience, noting that I subscribe to iTunes Match through this account, but don't actually turn it on on this device.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

If you have iTunes Match tied to your Apple ID, your iTunes Radio will be ad free. My folks don't have Match... and even the ads it DOES have aren't immensely annoying like on Pandora. The ads are also half as long.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

For now. Don't be surprised if the system isn't fully fleshed out yet.

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I'm not holding my breath... I just can't imagine any ads being more annoying than the crap Pandora spews out. The other day I had an ad that was entirely in Spanish. I was like wtf?

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The nice thing about iTunes Radio is that the ads are only like, say, 10 to 15 seconds long and there aren't any pop-up/full screen ads like Pandora, but my only issue is that on the stations I listen to, it's almost like its preset rather than new songs playing on Pandora (When I start my House Radio the same 4 or 5 songs play in about the same order). Hopefully by release it'll be more diverse.

6. Felder71 thread starter macrumors member

That's good to know that I can get ad free iTunes Radio as long as I'm paying for iTunes Match, reglardless of it I use it or not. After, I am paying the $25, so I figured it should count. Thanks!

7. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

That is what i see as well. Maybe because it is still in beta. But the song selection is not very good at times. And it plays the same songs over and over. In the exact same order. I have noticed that each day the same song will play the same time it did the day before etc. It is weird.

8. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

I've had one brief voice ad on iTunes Radio. Perhaps they haven't figured out Canada yet..

9. mactmaster macrumors 6502

I don't know if its just cause iOS 7 is still beta but I am getting ads while logged in to my itunes account with iTunes Match subscription. I don't have match turned on on my phone cause it would eat up my cellular data limit since I'm rarely on WiFi while at work etc.

10. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I'm pretty sure the commercials didn't go away until I had Match activated.

11. mactmaster macrumors 6502

That's kind of a bummer. Hopefully it gets changed before final release so that iTunes Match subscribers can enjoy ad-free radio even if they don't have match enabled on a particular device.

12. cube macrumors G5

iTunes Match is unusable. It ruins your library.

13. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

yeah I turned it on and got duplicates and lost artwork everywhere. Really strange. Duplicates due to downloading the higher quality bitrate (or at least the bitrate that matches the icloud version) makes sense but at least manage it for me apple. Two identical songs just confused everything.

I was never sure if it as itunes match combined with the new itunes folder structure that bit me or if itunes match is just plain insane.

14. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

How do you mean?

I've had iTunes Match since April 2012 and not had any major issues...just having to redownload all content if I accidentally turn the feature off!

What problems have you had?

15. mactmaster macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what it means when iTunes Radio says "Singled Out on iTunes Radio"?

16. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

i use a jailbreak tweak that lets me have unlimited skips and no ads. i don't remember what its called but its nice

17. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I say paying isnt worth it since the ads arent as annoying or long. However I do fear that as iOS 7 goes to the public we might get more and more ads.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Didn't ruin mine. Works perfectly well. I can turn it off and on at will and it hasn't messed my library up yet. It's easily the best owned music streaming service out there. Google Music's lag when out and about makes it basically unusable.

19. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Was wondering myself. It sounds like its time for an ad or you skipped your limit of songs but I got that by doing no skipping and never got an ad

20. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

I gave up on it because it ruined my play counts and didn't reliably update the last played date either. If you have playlists built on play counts then it is not good.

21. cube macrumors G5

Tracks are not guaranteed to be replaced only by the same version.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yeah, a lot of folks ended up with non-explicit versions but you don't have to replace your content (keep the original versions in iTunes). Also you can turn off iTunes Match on a device, sync music to it, and then turn it back on and have the originals on the device.

Also, I've never tried, but instead of keeping a match on an explicit version can you use the upload feature and then the original version will be available to other devices via iTunes Match?

23. cube macrumors G5

I don't use iCloud.

The only use I see for it is to lazily upgrade the tracks, but still not to lossless, so not really enough.

24. Spidious macrumors newbie

Was listening to the iphone radio and it stopped and this popped up ?

iTunes Radio says "Singled Out on iTunes Radio"? Now it won't play ?

UPDATE:Well not sure what I did but now it works ?

25. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Isn't iTunes Radio US only?