iTunes requires re-tagging in OPTIONS -> MEDIA KIND if I remove from iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patent10021, Dec 14, 2013.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Issues:

1.) If I remove videos from iTunes and add them again in the future they lose their media type tag. I have to select the files, get info and re-tag.

2.) If I change the media type it always takes an insanely long time for iTunes to make its way through the list even on my i7 Mac Mini with 16GB.

Maybe iTunes tagging sucks and I should be using a 3rd party app that renders the tagging permanent and does it quickly?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1) That particular iTunes tag is stored in the iTunes database, rather than embedded in the file.

2) I have that issue too, on a 2011 iMac with 16 GB. Not sure what causes it, but boy is it ever annoying.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

well ****ing ********er ****!

Well the tag that disappears is the media type tag we are talking about. The artist / album etc stays. Since you said that tag info is stored in the DB then for some reason it takes OSX an ass long time to access and change that DB. What the hell could it be? I have to wait 20 minutes sometimes for a whole tutorial video show to fix itself. Meanwhile I can't listen to music or do anything else in iTunes.

Any low-level pros out there that could shed some light?

p.s. it looks like "ass" isn't a swear word :p