Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
For sometime now i've been transitioning all my media files into iTunes.

Of course all my music is housed in iTunes, along with my Podcasts; my main source of video entertainment aside from movies themselves. I have about 40 movies in iTunes and a few TV shows. iTunes is slowly becoming my media hub. As a college student I have also an array of iTunesU content and of course apps.

Regarding books themselves I mainly have the free downloads from the iBookstore...and being able to have PDFs in iBooks is a godsend. It appears that PDFs are saved into iTunes so theoretically I can delete my "PDF Folders" folder in my Macs' Documents folder and still have access to them all, just now all in iTunes; when I click on any particular PDF book in iTunes, Preview opens up.

I have about 5GB worth of PDF files that contain some interest; whether they be university related, work related, randomly saved PDFs and eBooks in the Documents folder on my Mac. So would it now be a good idea to delete that folder knowing iTunes has them all. Afterall, I don't keep all my GB's of music in another folder on my Mac aside from the one housed in the iTunes application/folder right?

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
you are correct, when you drop the pdf files into iTunes it copies them into the ~\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Books\ directory along with all the eBooks that you've downloaded from the iBookstore.
the only reason to keep them elsewhere would be for the sake of backup in case something goes wrong with your mac... but even then, you'd want to be keeping the backup on an external/remote drive instead of your internal HD otherwise it defeats the whole point.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
you are correct, when you drop the pdf files into iTunes it copies them into the ~\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Books\ directory along with all the eBooks that you've downloaded from the iBookstore.
the only reason to keep them elsewhere would be for the sake of backup in case something goes wrong with your mac... but even then, you'd want to be keeping the backup on an external/remote drive instead of your internal HD otherwise it defeats the whole point.

I understand. I do have am external i use to backup monthly. As for the PDFs I'm going to house them only in iTunes; imreally glad password protected PDFs work too

I may even be down to convert some of these longer reads to pub format or whatever iBooks are. Calibre I think converts to this no?

boyced

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
this only happens if you have the copy to itunes option selected in preferences

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
this only happens if you have the copy to itunes option selected in preferences

I totally do.

Now I'm also wondering, PDFs can be read by clicking them in iTunes and them opening in Preview but what about iBooks themselves? Are subjected to just reading them on iDevices?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.