iTunes says I need to restore my phone, anyone ever had this issue?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by acidraindrop, Mar 30, 2011.

1. acidraindrop macrumors member

When I hook up my iPhone I get this error message: "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iphone. Go to the summary tab in the iphone preferences and click restore to restore this iphone to factory settings."

Am I screwed? Do I have no choice but to restore my phone now? I still have it on 4.0.1 with the unlockable baseband.

Please help.

2. thep33t macrumors regular

worst case scenario - you have to reset using tiny-umrella to save your bb and ios version (assuming you have your shsh saved)

3. acidraindrop thread starter macrumors member

I do have my blobs saved on tinyumbrella. So I guess I'm gonna have to restore then.

Is there anyway to backup all my crap then since I cant backup through iTunes? I don't want to restore the phone like new. I would like to have all my text history and pics how they are now. And what about all my jailbroken apps.

Basically is there a way to do the restore and then end up having my phone pretty close to how it is now?

4. acidraindrop thread starter macrumors member

Come on peeps I know somebody knows how to go about doing this. Help a brother out.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Don't you back up your phone on a regular basis? My data is important to me, so I sync whenever I make a change. Just saying. :rolleyes:

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

how can the OP backup their phone when iTunes is saying it cant read the contents of their phone? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

I generally save my themes/ringtones/settings by SSH'ing from the iDevice to the hard drive on my c'puter!

Also download myTunes from Cydia if you wish to backup your songs/tunes/etc by copying them from the as mentioned directory on your iDevice again to your c'puter!

Repos - jot them down on Notepad/Words/etc and re-install them when you re-jailbreak your iDevice!

Good luck :)

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm referring to before the OP's phone went kaput.:rolleyes: S/he couldn't have been so stupid as to not back up on a regular basis, right? After all, the OP claims the information on the phone was important.