iTunes seems to have gotten into the medicine cabinet.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Verdanice, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Verdanice macrumors regular

So I've just encountered the strangest series of issues with iTunes.

I took over this computer from another employee at my work last week. Ever since I performed a few maintenance tasks (nothing that would cause this kind of issue) and cleaned up files and programs, iTunes has been flipping out.

It has been crashing approximately once an hour, sometimes more often, and sometimes while I'm not even at the computer. It happens in the middle of songs and there's no common event that's bringing it on. As far as I know, this was not happening to the previous user.

Today, iTunes would stop producing sound every so often (even though it appears to be playing and the volume is unchanged). Sometimes trying a bunch of different songs will fix it, usually I need to restart the program (or wait a few minutes and let it crash itself like a good boy).

Now this is where it gets funky. A little while ago the audio started to fluctuate. The volume goes up and down all on its own at various speeds and to various levels. Neither OS X's volume nor iTunes' volume control are moving (that would trip me out, though).

I've restarted numerous times since it started crashing and once since it started screwing with my volume, and I've reinstalled iTunes.

This is amusing to an extent, but I can't work without my music!

The computer is a Mac Pro (2x2.66 Dual Core Xenon), running 10.4.11 and iTunes 7.6.2.

So, any ideas? Your input is appreciated!

2. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

Uninstall totally and use AppTrap or something similar to get rid of all traces.

Reinstall iTunes and add some songs to try it out.

Hope this helps.

Malky.

3. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

I did another uninstall using AppZapper (for whatever reason, I didn't use it last time). Now I can't get any sound - the first time I started the application, it played about a half second of a song and stopped (it continued playing, but sound stopped). It's silent now.

Edit: Scratch that, back to the same problems as before - havent gotten the fluctuating yet, but it'll come, I have no doubt.

4. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

I'd probably go to Apple for support now.

Malky

5. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I'll try posting this over at the Apple forums. Other than that, though, there's really no other way to get through to Apple support, is there? Aside from the Genius Bar and given I don't have phone support. Apple really doesn't offer much email support that I'm aware of.

6. CuRoi macrumors newbie

I'm getting the same exact thing - the sound would go up and down randomly. I thought it was my headphones crapping out. But headphones and speakers don't make a difference.

What has worked so far for me (knock on wood) is to turn off the Sound Enhancer preference (in Playback). Hope that helps.

Oh, and I'm on 10.5.4 w/ iTunes 7.7

7. samrulestothema macrumors regular

Looks like you guys have got some real phantoms in ur macs, fiddling with things just to creep you out :)