iTunes shows 10GB of music, Finder shows 20?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amberreneee88, Apr 12, 2008.

1. amberreneee88 macrumors newbie

I'm almost out of room on my mac which I thought was impossible for me so I went and looked to see what was taking up so much room. In iTunes it tells me I have 9.2GB of music which is fair, but when I open my music folder --> iTunes music the info says I have 22.16GB in the folder! Did I do something wrong? I was thinking of compressing my files, but really I have no idea what compressing does and if it will give me troubles.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You may have "Consolidated Library", but did not delete the non-iTunes managed files. This would mean everything has a duplicate somewhere.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Don't compress your files unless you are sending them over the web, it will just take up more space because you will have the compressed and uncompressed files and every time you want to use the compressed file you will have to uncompress it making another copy of the file!

Do you have any movies in iTunes? because your library will tell you how much your music is taking up, your podcast tab will tell you how much your podcasts take up, and movies will tell you how much your films are taking up. Also the itunes library, album art database and other parts of the library take up a fair amount of space in addition to your music files.

4. amberreneee88 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I carefully looked over each aspect of my itunes and the music folder on iTunes says 9.2GBs but then I went to the finder and the iTunes music folder (which I assume is the same stuff) had double. This didn't include any other movies or even the art work which are separate files so I'm stumped.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

post #2 told you the issue.

we can invent other reasons of what is causing this, but it won't be true... :)

6. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Stupid question, but what exactly does the "consolidate library" feature do?

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It copies your music from wherever it is on your hard drive into your iTunes folder.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've found that on my machine iPhoto greatly outweighs my already large iTunes music folder (14GB). Check out what is really taking up room with GrandPerspective. Just have it scan your user folder or root folder if you have multiple users. It'll let you visually see what's taking up room. Just yesterday it helped me move ~10GB (and another 2/3GB today) to my external drive and delete a lot of duplicates I didn't realize I had (left over from when I first imported my pictures into iPhoto).