iTunes shows 7GB of photos, folder on phone shows 1GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awegew, Mar 15, 2013.

1. awegew macrumors newbie

I'm trying to wipe out my phone and reload IOS. It seems like I have some software issues going on and want to eliminate any corruption as a cause. I'm sure I'll lose all of my data in doing so. I don't want to restore a backup as it might bring back the issues.

I'm trying to get all of the photos off of my phone. When I plug it in, the DCIM folder that shows has 1GB of pictures in it. iTunes shows 7GB. The phone was unlocked when I hooked it up to the PC.

Does anyone know why there would be this disparity? Any ideas appreciated.

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Does the photos/video count on iTunes match with how much pictures/videos you have in the phone? (I assume you are looking at the folder on your computer when you plug in your phone to the computer)

3. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Check your photostream and also your text messages.

4. awegew, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

awegew thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I check the amount of image data in each of those? I take lots of pictures, only occasionally text them and I don't use photostream so I'm not sure what it's talking about.

5. awegew thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I discovered the problem. There was .95GB in one folder and almost 7 in the other. When I right click the DCIM folder to an go properties, it shows the .95 and it's still counting the other. Though, since it's a subfolder, it doesn't show any increase until it's done and you can't tell that it's still counting.

Given that Microsoft likes to completely wipe out their GUI every so often, you'd think that they'd have picked up on this.

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

MMS pictures get categorized under "other"

I am not certain about photo stream though since I don't use it

----------

That's great you figured out the problem! It's nice to not have to worry if you lost any precious photos:D