iTunes sometimes doesn't play music unless I reboot the system. YouTube video's at th

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheWarIsNotOver, Oct 3, 2011.

1. TheWarIsNotOver macrumors member

Hello everyone,

Here's the thing. I use iTunes on my MacBook Pro 13" (early 2011 with 10.7.1, all updates installed) and it works splendidly, but sometimes something strange happens. All of a sudden I am not able to play music any more. The diamond showing the songs progress just doesn't move and stays at 0. Also, something else happens at the same time... YouTube video's play, but don't have sound. Any other online video, such as a video played with Facebook's default player, also play but have no sound. Rebooting my MacBook always solves the problem, but I was wondering if there could be a different way to solve this, preferably permanently. When this problem occurs and I try to watch a movie with QuickTime it hangs, and doesn't play. Even the discoball of death is shown and I am forced to force quit QuickTime.

Anyway, all these problems seem to be connected, but what is the cause?

Thank you very much for reading this, and I hope you have the answer to my question.

Pieter

2. zuperzz macrumors newbie

same problem

I've been having the same exact problem for the last couple of days. It seems every time I restarted the Mac (running latest updates of OS X Lion) I was able to play media through VLC, iTunes, Chrome, etc. But if I quit the application and tried to open it again, the videos would *sometime* play without audio and audio files would simply move from the 0:00 marker on the seek bar.

I did find a fix recently, although I do not now how permanent it is.

1. Open up Terminal
    2. type "sudo killall coreaudiod" (without quotes)
    3. enter your root password when prompted

Thats all. Just wait a few seconds for Lion to restart coreaudiod and your audio/video should work again (at least it did for me).

Good Luck!

3. TheWarIsNotOver thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I'll try this the next time it happens. I'll let you know if it works!

4. TheWarIsNotOver thread starter macrumors member

It works, but does it work permanently, or do you have to repeat the procedure every time again and again?

5. zuperzz macrumors newbie

not permanent

I've been using this "fix" for the last day and it looks like its not permanent. Sometimes I've had to quit the problematic application and then kill coreaudiod and restart the application.

I've come across a couple site with talking about this issue like this one.

Hopefully Apple with fix this with an update soon...