iTunes: Songs on Mac's HD, Movies on External HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EgbertAttrick, Jun 29, 2008.

1. EgbertAttrick macrumors regular

I love having my music on my MBP everywhere I go, but don't want to bog down my HD with the movies I have been converting for iPod. What is the best way to keep my music on my MBP HD and my movies on an external HD?

Should I uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" when adding the movies and then recheck when adding music?

2. scott:mac macrumors regular

Haven't read this properly but..

The best way is to create a folder on your External HD, and just copy and paste your movies over, leave your songs on there, or you could also create a folder for your music.

Go into your Music folder -> iTunes -> iTunes music...
    Copy the folder to your HD.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Do you require them to be in the same library?

The way I did it was quit iTunes, re-launch it while holding "option" and created a new library in "volumes/externalHDD/

I add my movies there, and organize them the iTunes way. When I wish to switch back to music, I quit, re-launch while holding "option" and choose the existing music library on the internal HDD.

To make it easy to find the libraries, create aliases and place them on the desktop or some other place to your liking.

I do this because I want iTunes to auto-add, and to auto-organize in it's internal HDD for my music, and know of no way to have it treat videos differently. Therefore I make a separate library for them.

4. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I have TV shows on one drive, Movies one a 2nd and songs on a 3rd. I have it set to auto import directed to the music drive. When I want to add a movie or TV show I drop it into its appropriate directory on its own drive and than hold down option while I drag it to iTunes. It creates the record in my library but does not copy the file. It takes a little bit of organization on your end with the movies and TV shows but is the easiest way I have found to do.