iTunes Store Movies Now Include Subtitles and Alternate Language Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by heyadol, Sep 7, 2012.

1. heyadol macrumors member

I was peeking around the iTunes store today and noticed that the pre-order for Prometheus lists 10 subtitle languages (in addition to closed captions), as well as 3 soundtracks. I think this is excellent, I was thrilled when they started pushing more movies with CC but the dark boxes around the text bugs me so I'm hoping the subtitles work like the removable ones many forum members add to their ripped movies. Plus having multiple soundtracks is nice, although that will affect the file size more than a few text tracks.

Anyway, I have a few family members who are hard of hearing (which may point to my future as well), I am so used to having text on screen that I almost miss it when it isn't there, but I'm glad Apple (or the studios) are taking the initiative to expand the features offered on their digital releases. I'm hoping that moves over to foreign films as well, as much as I enjoy subtitles I dislike hard-coded subs. At least they started labeling foreign flix as "always on" so there is no confusion.

It seems to be newer releases from Fox, Paramount, and Universal that have the subs and multiple soundtracks, anybody here purchase/rent one of these movies like Jaws or The Dictator? Do the features work on iOS devices as well?

I didn't see this mentioned after a forum search so maybe it isn't noteworthy...

2. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Yea this is nothing new - both are compatible with iOS. My real desire is for the studios to start releasing director's commentaries digitally - not sure why that hasn't happened yet :(

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Yup, hope they do this. Being a non-English native speaker, the lack of CC / subs is a major problem for me when watching English language flicks and wanting to understand them 100%. This (in addition to their being "physical" and having better IQ) is why I've stayed away from iTunes Store and opted for ripping BR discs instead. The latter have several subtracks (and def. better IQ).