iTunes Sync with iPhone erase and sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rami98, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Rami98 macrumors member

So, I am in a bit of a rut. I bought an iPhone 4S from verizon in early november. I had an HP laptop at the time that I had just bought and was contemplating getting a mac. After owning the iPhone (my first iPhone by the way) for a week, I decided that a mac would be great with it. So i returned my HP and got a Macbook air

The problem is, I believe that I synced my iPhone to the HP that i returned. So now, when i plug it into my mac and try to do anything to it, it tells me to erase and sync to this new library. I refuse to do that because I have 14.5 GB of pictures on the iPhone and i have only 26.5 GB left on the 64GB black 4S Verizon model. I have tried plugging into every other computer in the house, but they all say erase and sync like my macbook. I am convinced that it is synced to that hp. Is there anyway to bypass this message that iTunes is giving me? I have also tried to se it to manually manage music and videos but it still gives me the erase and sync message.

My iPhone is also jailbroken so would lose all of my jailbreak apps if I restored. Again, is there anyway to bypass the erase and sync message without access to the original library?

Attached Files:

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Don't think there's any way to do this. Should have backed up the data from the hp laptop and transferred it to your MBA before you returned it.

3. Rami98 thread starter macrumors member

I have the songs on my external hard drive and the videos are on iTunes, but i don't want to restore and put all of the apps back on which would make me lose all data in any apps. I use google voice so messages is not an issue, but all of my pictures would make it troublesome to backup and restore again. And all of my jailbreak tweaks would have to be reinstalled which would be very troublesome because I have many tweaks installed (SBSettings, Assisstantextensions, themes, etc.). Anybody else have a solution?

4. Rami98 thread starter macrumors member

5. Rami98 thread starter macrumors member

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If I understand correctly, you are only worried about the pictures, correct? Assuming this is accurate, just sync your pictures with iphoto, and then set everything up as new. You will be able to sync the pics back. If you have a windows machine still, you can just drag and drop the pics too. Your app data should/can be stored in iCloud, so that is a non-issue IMO. Your jailbreak tweaks can also be backed up into iCloud using another jailbreak tweak called openbackup. Openbackup is relatively new, too. Before then, cydia tweakers were literally SOL.

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Are you using iCloud? iCloud can solve a lot of this.

If you're currently jailbroken, you can use pkgbackup to backup all your cydia apps.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

:confused:

----------

How does this compare to openbackup? The latter is free. Your suggestion is $8. OUCH!

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I've always used Pkgbackup and never had a problem. I tried OpenBackup but the misspelling of Instructions made me uninstall.

A good one to try if you're looking for a cloud solution is xBackup.

10. Rami98 thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks for the great suggestions. I tried pkgbackup on my iPod touch 3rd gen when i was going to ios4 and it completely screwed up my iPod. I got the pictures moved over on a windows machine because my mac didn't show the iPhone as a drive. I just don't want to lose my apps and the ill backup my songs onto an external hard drive with pod to pc. I really hate the atrocity that is iTunes and it's making me start to regret my iPhone purchase but ill get over it. But thanks guys.

11. bcm262 macrumors newbie

i here...

i here that if you back it up to(in your case) the mac air and then transfer the photos to the mac air and restore and sync from the back up on the mac air everything should be there including app data is that true?