Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
I put my iTunes music library on an external drive. How would the transition to the new Music, Apple TV apps happen? Would I need to empty my internal drive first?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not sure what you are saying, but I use external iTunes library and it worked fine for me. The books are removed from iTunes library though, and I hate it. Never tried any actual sync but I assume it should work just like the old method.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Not sure what you are saying, but I use external iTunes library and it worked fine for me. The books are removed from iTunes library though, and I hate it. Never tried any actual sync but I assume it should work just like the old method.
I was afraid that the upgrade would "force" the content to be synced to the new internal folders as the music and movies contents are separated. Since I have many music and movies in my iTunes library, the content won't fit into my Macbook Pro's internal drive. Glad that the upgrade won't move the content physically.

Mpedroza90

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
Houston, Texas
I put my iTunes music library on an external drive. How would the transition to the new Music, Apple TV apps happen? Would I need to empty my internal drive first?

Did you find a solution for this? I'm having issues with my external drive iTunes music going into the new apps

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I was afraid that the upgrade would "force" the content to be synced to the new internal folders as the music and movies contents are separated. Since I have many music and movies in my iTunes library, the content won't fit into my Macbook Pro's internal drive. Glad that the upgrade won't move the content physically.
I upgraded to the new Catalina briefly during the early day of iOS 13 beta 1 to install iOS 13 beta 1 without installing Xcode. During that period, my external iTunes library was not transferred to internal hard drive (400GB in total) and music was played just fine. I did notice some strange internal storage space decrease before I decided to nuke the internal and reinstall Catalina from scratch as iPhone/iPad was not recognised. But I could not link that increase to Music app’s attempt to move my music to internal drive in the background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.