iTunes Touch ID....huh?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gentlefury, Sep 23, 2013.

1. gentlefury macrumors 68030

So has anyone gotten Touch ID for purchases to actually work consistently. I've gotten the touch prompt once so far. Every other time it doesn't even give me to option...it just asks for my password. I get I have to enter passwords again after a reboot (well I know I have...don't really understand why...not like my finger is going to change after a power cycle.)...but it seems like Touch ID itself on purchases times out if you don't make another purchase quickly...is this a bug...or is it just too secure for its own good?

2. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I haven't made that many purchases, but haven't had any problems with what I've tried. First time, I had to enter my PW and then answer the prompt of whether I wanted touch ID for purchases. It has worked all the other times.

3. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

That's what I get everytime I go to purchase. Kinda pointless feature.

Attached Files:

4. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

It seems that for security purposes they time out touch ID for purchases after a certain amount of time and force you to re-enter the password.

Probably for the same reason that they require a passcode to unlock the device if it has been over a certain length of time since you unlocked it last time.

5. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

So iTunes Touch ID is pointless then....I guess it's cool if you make purchases every couple hours....but for normal people that makes it completely useless. Dumb implementation.

6. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Have you tried using touch ID even if it asks for Apple ID and password?

7. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

I read that it's a bug that will be fixed in the next release. Hang tight!

8. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Wasn't this the 7.0.1 fix? OP, have you tried updating your phone?

9. juliainor macrumors member

I have updated and I still get this every time. Touch ID for purchases has worked for me a whopping ONE time. I'm pretty disappointed in that. This is one of the things I was most excited about in the 5s - that I wouldn't have to keep switching back and forth from 1Password to copy and paste my password whenever I wanted to buy something.

People don't make purchases as often as they go in and out of their phone. To have the Touch ID-for-purchases time out seems dumb to me. At least make it user-configurable so I can choose how often it's going to time out.

10. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Just tried and it asked for my fingerprint. Last I used the app store was about 21 hours ago.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I believe that it doesn't require the password if you use your fingerprint in the App Store once every 48 hours, just like unlocking the device.

12. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

It's only worked for me once. And I've only had the phone for 3 days. So in those 3 days I've made a couple purchases...therefore this isn't right.

I am up to date with 7.0.1

Exactly the same experience as I have had. I've gotten it to actually prompt me once. Every other time it tells me to enter password and touching the scanner does nothing.

13. sean800 macrumors member

It doesn't really make the same amount of sense though, because realistically almost everyone will unlock their phones within a 48 hour period, but usage of the app/itunes stores isn't nearly as frequent.

14. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Mine is on a plane still, so I don't know. I'm sure Apple will get it sorted out.

15. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

I hope they do actually fix this and it isn't a "feature"

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I would actually call this a feature, and a good thing at that.

Say that you unlock your phone for your children to use, and they go to open iTunes and make purchases. You've already used TouchID to unlock your phone, so that, for all intents and purposes, could be considered "cached", and not requiring any other credentials for the purchase.

Boom. Unwanted app/iTunes purchases made on your phone without you knowing.

Again. To be prompted again at that point would be a feature, and a damn good one to have.

BL.

17. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I agree this is how it should work. My impression was that the complaint here was that the Touch ID wasn't working and the iTunes Password was required. I expect to be asked for my Touch ID in the same situations I'm currently asked for my iTunes Password.

18. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

That was your first mistake. It's pretty annoying how we have to all suffer for bad parenting (remember the fiasco over in app purchases?).

If your kids don't understand the value of money they shouldn't be touching one of these devices in the first place.

19. bradl, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Then here is a question..

Is the timeout for TouchID proportionately relative to the AutoLock setting? If so, I wonder if that is the missing key here. Say your AutoLock setting is 1 minute. Does TouchID expire at the same time? If so, that would answer the question for iTunes with TouchID.

I ask because I'm still on a 4S and am waiting to upgrade, so I don't have a newer phone nearby.

Tell that to your 2 or 3-year old who is just hitting every app they find on your device.

On top of that, my scenario is hypothetical. I thought that people reading this thread would be smart enough to recognize or pick up on it. I guess I was wrong.

BL.

20. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Not sure if you have kids, but my 3 and 4 year olds have been using apps on the iDevices since they were 1 or 2.

We all suffer for bad parenting? Pretty broad brush you have there...

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I completely agree with you. But for now, on my phone at least, it appears to be working like this. It should be like a week for the App Store before it requires Apple ID password again.

22. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

How does that make any sense. If it were always available for touch id, then even if your phone is unlocked already you wouldn't be able to ever make a purchase without the owners finger. You should never have to type in the password again, and the timeout should be set to 0 for fingerprint scanning on purchases. The issue I have is that it keeps asking me for my password...not for my fingerprint. If it asked me for my fingerprint everytime I would be happy.

23. wepiii macrumors 6502

If you have touch id enabled "immediately" is the only option. You lose the other options. And the way you described is what is supposed to happen. But it isn't... You are being asked to type in your password at every purchase. No differently than you would on any other I device without touch id. Has to be a bug...

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Other way around. If your phone is unlocked via TouchID, should you make an iTunes purchase, your authentication with TouchID would already be established because it was used to unlock the phone. That is what the prompting for it again or the password is to prevent.

This is what it should do, yes. If it doesn't, it is providing another layer of security to prevent erroneous iTunes purchases by asking for your password. Again, that would be a feature, not a bug.

BL.

25. wepiii macrumors 6502

lol. My i5 had that "feature" already. If it asks you for your password everytime, and never your fingerprint, how could you consider that a feature? Do you have a 5S? Again... it is definitely a bug.