iTunes unlocked my iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueMoonForever, Nov 29, 2012.

1. BlueMoonForever, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012

BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

So I restored my iPhone 5 with iTunes today and it unlocked it? I did purchase it directly from Apple with no contract. My question is, can one who is under contract with AT&T unlock theirs the same way?

Hope its permanent?

[​IMG]

2. albertxp06 macrumors regular

When no contract phones are activated, they are almost always unlocked.

Under contract phones won't be unlocked by AT&T unless the requirements have been met (ETF paid or they've fulfilled the two years).

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Your phone was unlocked when you bought it. When you restored it iTunes checks with homebase to see if that phone is locked and unlocks it if it isn't.

People with AT&T iPhones cannot unlock theirs until they are out of contract or contact AT&T and request to be unlocked for international travel.

4. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

No. The phone came with an AT&T nano sim in it. It said AT&T on the receipt. They said they didn't have any unlocked iPhones and they were all locked to AT&T.

5. green tea macrumors member

or if they pay a small $15-25 service fee from people on ebay/etc to get an unlock code ;)

6. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess the only true way to tell is pop in a T-Mobile sim card. Only problem is I have no way of getting a T-Mobile nano sim, as I'm with AT&T. ):

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You bought it off contract though. Off-contract phones can be unlocked by AT&T.

8. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but I didn't call them or anything. It just unlocked on its own via iTunes. So what I'm asking is if my friend's AT&T iPhone 5 can be unlocked the same way. He upgraded to get the 5 so will iTunes know?

9. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Since he upgraded using AT&T subsidized pricing, his AT&T iPhone 5 isn't unlocked. It's only unlocked if you bought it off contract, full price.

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

If his is off-contract it can be unlocked. A restore isn't going to magically unlock your phone if it's on-contract.

11. Applejuiced, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, your friends is under contract.
    Yours is not. That's why yours is unlocked because you paid full price for it without a 2 year agreement.
    Your friend is locked to AT&T and he can request an unlock from AT&T once his contract expires or if he cancels the contract and pays the ETF.
    Or if he buys an IMEI unlock for his iphone on ebay;)

12. takeshi74, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

As stated multiple times already in this thread this is why it's unlocked.

Sure. They can buy an unsubsidized and unlocked one as well.

That really doesn't mean anything with regard to the subsidy lock.

"The same way" would entail buying the 5 unsubsidized.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You bought yours without contract so it's unlocked. The other person under contract won't just get an unlock by restoring.

14. bimmerboii macrumors member

Just to clarify, if i buy an AT&T iphone5 from the Apple Store at full price/no contract, it will be unlocked?

Can i just pop in my own sim straight out of the box or do i need to do a restore first like the OP did since it is an AT&T iphone 5?

But why is Apple (in the US) about to sell factory unlocked phones? Isnt that just gona confuse people?

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Walk into the Apple Store and ask to buy a device only, no contract iPhone 5. It will be unlocked and you can use it with T-Mobile or any GSM carrier.