Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
So I restored my iPhone 5 with iTunes today and it unlocked it? I did purchase it directly from Apple with no contract. My question is, can one who is under contract with AT&T unlock theirs the same way?

Hope its permanent?

2wd4jmx.png

Last edited by a moderator:

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
When no contract phones are activated, they are almost always unlocked.

Under contract phones won't be unlocked by AT&T unless the requirements have been met (ETF paid or they've fulfilled the two years).

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Your phone was unlocked when you bought it. When you restored it iTunes checks with homebase to see if that phone is locked and unlocks it if it isn't.

People with AT&T iPhones cannot unlock theirs until they are out of contract or contact AT&T and request to be unlocked for international travel.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
No. The phone came with an AT&T nano sim in it. It said AT&T on the receipt. They said they didn't have any unlocked iPhones and they were all locked to AT&T.

green tea

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
Your phone was unlocked when you bought it. When you restored it iTunes checks with homebase to see if that phone is locked and unlocks it if it isn't.

People with AT&T iPhones cannot unlock theirs until they are out of contract or contact AT&T and request to be unlocked for international travel.

or if they pay a small $15-25 service fee from people on ebay/etc to get an unlock code ;)

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I guess the only true way to tell is pop in a T-Mobile sim card. Only problem is I have no way of getting a T-Mobile nano sim, as I'm with AT&T. ):

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
You bought it off contract though. Off-contract phones can be unlocked by AT&T.

Yeah, but I didn't call them or anything. It just unlocked on its own via iTunes. So what I'm asking is if my friend's AT&T iPhone 5 can be unlocked the same way. He upgraded to get the 5 so will iTunes know?

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, but I didn't call them or anything. It just unlocked on its own via iTunes. So what I'm asking is if my friend's AT&T iPhone 5 can be unlocked the same way. He upgraded to get the 5 so will iTunes know?

Since he upgraded using AT&T subsidized pricing, his AT&T iPhone 5 isn't unlocked. It's only unlocked if you bought it off contract, full price.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

If his is off-contract it can be unlocked. A restore isn't going to magically unlock your phone if it's on-contract.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

No, your friends is under contract.
Yours is not. That's why yours is unlocked because you paid full price for it without a 2 year agreement.
Your friend is locked to AT&T and he can request an unlock from AT&T once his contract expires or if he cancels the contract and pays the ETF.
Or if he buys an IMEI unlock for his iphone on ebay;)

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I did purchase it directly from Apple with no contract.
As stated multiple times already in this thread this is why it's unlocked.

My question is, can one who is under contract with AT&T unlock theirs the same way?
Sure. They can buy an unsubsidized and unlocked one as well.

The phone came with an AT&T nano sim in it.
That really doesn't mean anything with regard to the subsidy lock.

So what I'm asking is if my friend's AT&T iPhone 5 can be unlocked the same way.
"The same way" would entail buying the 5 unsubsidized.

Last edited:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
So I restored my iPhone 5 with iTunes today and it unlocked it? I did purchase it directly from Apple with no contract. My question is, can one who is under contract with AT&T unlock theirs the same way?

Hope its permanent?

You bought yours without contract so it's unlocked. The other person under contract won't just get an unlock by restoring.

bimmerboii

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
Just to clarify, if i buy an AT&T iphone5 from the Apple Store at full price/no contract, it will be unlocked?

Can i just pop in my own sim straight out of the box or do i need to do a restore first like the OP did since it is an AT&T iphone 5?

But why is Apple (in the US) about to sell factory unlocked phones? Isnt that just gona confuse people?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Just to clarify, if i buy an AT&T iphone5 from the Apple Store at full price/no contract, it will be unlocked?

Can i just pop in my own sim straight out of the box or do i need to do a restore first like the OP did since it is an AT&T iphone 5?

But why is Apple (in the US) about to sell factory unlocked phones? Isnt that just gona confuse people?
Walk into the Apple Store and ask to buy a device only, no contract iPhone 5. It will be unlocked and you can use it with T-Mobile or any GSM carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.