iTunes wants to wipe phone, I just want to copy songs ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmeisenzahl, Mar 14, 2012.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

We now have 4 iPhones in the house. I've set all of the to backup to iCloud, and I'd like to only use iTunes on our Windoze PC to store music, and copy songs to the iPhones as needed.

This works fine for three of the four phones. I plug it in, drag the songs I want to the phone, and eject.

But on my daughters new (1 week old) iPhone 4 it gives me trouble. iTunes refuses to let me drag songs to the iPhone. It keeps telling me that I _must_ first sync the phone which will wipe everything already on it.

Also, iTunes claims that the iPhone has already been synced with another iTunes library, which can't be true. We have no other iTunes library.

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks very much in advance,
    Chris

2. ckmoose macrumors newbie

That 4th iPhone must have been synced with another computer. I have also had that issue when I had my phone synced but then reinstalled the OS on the computer.

I don't believe you have many options here. Look into a program called senuti. You can pull all your songs off the phone, add them to iTunes, then sync the phone with iTunes (which will wipe it) and re-add all of the content to the phone.

3. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I guess I may have to just bite the bullet here and start over. But we don't even have iTunes installed anywhere else, so I'm not sure how that could have happened.

4. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

If there aren't any songs on the iPhone that you don't have on your computer, then why is it a big deal to wipe the phone and start over?

And if it does have other songs on it, then she probably logged into a different (or new) iTunes account to buy them directly from the iPhone.

5. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

We definitely wouldn't lose any music. But she would have to download all of the apps she wants again, login to each customize, etc. Not the end of the world, but quite annoying.

6. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

7. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

No, new, the AT&T guy unwrapped the shrinkwrap in front of me.

8. Stanjara macrumors member

9. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, excellent! Then I'll cross my fingers and give it a go tonight. Thanks very much everyone.

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Also make sure that 'Manually Manage Music and Videos' is checked under the 'Summary' tab. This will allow you to drag music to the device.

11. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll double-check, thanks!