Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iTunes Windows Ad Campaign

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
With Apple being on the verge of announcing their iTunes Music Store for Windows, Apple appears to be stepping up their advertising and has already introduced a new iPod TV Ad, which debuted on Wednesday.

According to new reliable reports, Apple is planning for both print and television advertisements for the upcoming iTunes Music Store for Windows. These new ads are targeted around the holidays. This may be a part of a larger campaign, as a CNet report had previously hinted that Apple was planning a "major consumer advertising campaign" in the same timeframe.

Zech Marquis

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2003
Portsmouth, VA
makes sense to me

I like the new ipod ads, and this will only bring more good press and money for Apple. Now, remember that M$ said that WMp9 is coming out for OS X a few weeks back? Itunes for Windows, WMP9 for X, hmmm...

Comment

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
wonder if it will be in same style as the iPod ads or completely different.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So... iPods ads with people Singing. Now with people Dancing.

Anything left?

arn

Comment

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Originally posted by arn
So... iPods ads with people Singing. Now with people Dancing.

Anything left?

arn
Hot nude girls singing and dancing with the ipod?

Comment

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Does Apple ever use radio ads? I don't think I've ever heard any.

I don't about the US, but they definitely do in the UK. When the first 3G iPods were released xfm (the only station I listen to - so can't say about others) was crawling with them... Apple man reeling off different musical styles or something and waxing lyrical about how much music you could carry with you...

There must be a repository of radio ads on the web somewhere, I'll go look...

jx

edit: here ya go - iPod radio ads

Comment

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
Re: makes sense to me

Originally posted by Zech Marquis
I like the new ipod ads, and this will only bring more good press and money for Apple. Now, remember that M$ said that WMp9 is coming out for OS X a few weeks back? Itunes for Windows, WMP9 for X, hmmm...

stop nightmaring... can you imagine a apple/windows player? would be a first... it would be like sleeping with the devil...

Comment

Safeguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2003
Re: Re: makes sense to me

Originally posted by VicMacs
stop nightmaring... can you imagine a apple/windows player? would be a first... it would be like sleeping with the devil...

interesting . . . now that would make a great new commercial.

Comment

iBot

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
Apple Commercial Shoot

On Tuesday, I was in the Apple Store at the Grove in Los Angeles and a shooting crew was taping an Apple commerical (despite the clutter of big lights, a bunch of video gear and a half-dozen crew members, the store remained open to customers). There were four or five real-looking people standing by to be interviewed sitting on the cool plexiglass stairs leading up to the Apple theater/Genius Bar. I stayed to watch only one of the interviews. The director (his Apple nametag read "Bill") sat on a wooden box, with a camerman just behind his right shoulder, and asked a series of prompting questions of a young hipster-looking dude who was clearly not a professional actor:

Director: "What makes Apple different?"

Young Hipster-Looking Dude: "PCs are just machines. Apple is a lifestyle."

Director: "How would you sum up Apple in one word."

Young Hipster-Looking Dude: [holds up iPod] Ipod.

Camera Guy: Could you tip the iPod more toward the camera?

Director: Anything else you'd like to add?

Young Hipster-Looking Dude: Um....

Crew Member Offscreen: "It just works."

Young Hipster-Looking Dude: "It just works."

Comment

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
I live in good old South Central LA and I've noticed a stepped up apple ipod adverstising campaign all around the area. Especially big poster ads on the sides of bus stops. Apple has to be up to something. Could just be coincidence, but I doubt it.

Comment

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Re: itunes for windows

Originally posted by crossed-over
How much is iTunes for Windows gonna cost? Or is it gonna be a free download? Anybody know?

It's gotta be free! :( :eek: I don't think Apple would want to resemble RealOne in ANY way, shape, or form.

But then again, if you don't buy QT pro you get stuck turning down the upgrade splash all the time. So only Steve knows.

Comment

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: itunes for windows

Originally posted by crossed-over
How much is iTunes for Windows gonna cost? Or is it gonna be a free download? Anybody know?

Gotta be free. The idea is that people will buy songs on the iTMS. Not to mention increased visibility for the Apple name which will lead to greater iPod and computer sales, hopefully.

Comment
P

paulc

Think I saw the TV ad at least twice last night while my beloved Yankees were dispatching the Red Sox. Today, I notice a big print version adorning several bus stop shelters in manhattan (NY).

BTW, there are several (nearly) naked ladies jiving in the TV ad. I wouldn't mind jiggling with several of them!

But I DO think they need to maybe rotate it with some more pop sounding tunez; a lot of folks might find it too urban cool (I don't, but I AM urban cool!) and I want them to sell tons of these out in the boonies.

As for the price of the wintel iTunez, it's probably the part of their souls they have NOT sold to the evil monopoly. Hopefully, Jobs can get to double digit marketshare percentage in souls, if not of hardware.

Comment

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Napster

Yes, this might better go in another thread but this is the latest iTMS Windows thread so here goes....

I was just reading about the Napster launch on another website and hadn't realized until now that, despite the launch party that happened last night, Napster isn't actually opening for business until the 29th.

Hopefully, if Apple can actually go live on the day they announce it (like they did in May) they can actually beat Napster out of the gate by two whole weeks. Frankly I can't believe Napster is going to be any more competition than BuyMusic but it's worth noting.

I like the fundamentals discussed on the forbes.com article here

http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/10/cx_ah_1010napster.html

It is mentioned that they think the break-even point will be over 1 million songs per week. Do people seriously think they will sell that many? Apple isn't even doing that level of business and they are the industry leader right now!

Furthermore, it would be nice if Apple would announce how many songs they currently have. While they launched with 200,000 they have been adding songs to iTMS every tuesday. Yet articles still say that they only have 200,000 songs!

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Re: Napster

Originally posted by DGFan

Furthermore, it would be nice if Apple would announce how many songs they currently have. While they launched with 200,000 they have been adding songs to iTMS every tuesday. Yet articles still say that they only have 200,000 songs!

I agree. With the absolute ton of songs they've added each Tuesday now for the last month (the last 2 weeks have been massive), it's probably approaching 400,000 songs by now. It would be nice to get an official total from Apple next week.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.