ITunes with Iphone 4 shows 3 synced computers out of 5 possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejosepha, Sep 3, 2010.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

I had an Imac and had to exchange it twice and finally gave up on them and am now only working on my Macbook Air. When I synced my Iphone 4 on the Air, ITunes it says that you have now used 3 out of your possible 5 synced computers.
    Is there a way to regain the other two synced computer uses? I don't have them anymore and they were reinstalled when sent back.
    Thanks

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It doesn't really matter. When you've used up 5 out of 5, you can reset it to 0 and start over.

3. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Correct, but I believe you can only do this once a year (but who would need to do it more?)

I only have a MacBook Pro but yet I have two out of my five authorized computers used because my wife's Macbook got fried when water was spilled on it and I never could boot it up to unauthorize.

I don't ever see me reaching the five authorized limit so I don't think I will ever have to reset - though it is kind of annoying to look and see there are two authorized computers instead of just one.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

5. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean do a complete reset of the Iphone. Meaning wipe the Iphone clean and start it again. Would I lose all info on the phone, including settings, etc.? Is this the reset that you mean, or is there another way?
    Thanks

6. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

No, in iTunes once you have authorized 5 different unique computers on your iTunes account you will have the option to reset your authorizations. It has nothing to do with reseting your iPhone. All it does is reset your authorizations to 0 and then you are able to authorize the computers you do have again.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

my post on top of yours, gave you the full explanation directly from :apple: Here is the part you want, copy/pasted directly from the website....
    Basicaly deauthorize all then authorize again the ones you want, it's all done in iTunes in your computer,you don't have to touch your iOS devices at all for this.

To deauthorize all computers associated with your account
    If you find you have reached 5 authorizations, you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen.

Click iTunes Store in the menu on the left side of iTunes.
    If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.
    Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.
    In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.
    Note: You may only use this feature once per year. The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have fewer than 5 authorized computers, or if you have used this option within the last 12 months. If you need assistance on using this feature, please contact the iTunes Store support via email.