iTunes won't add music, says I don't have access privileges to the HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by devburke, Aug 8, 2009.

1. devburke Guest

When I try to drag music into iTunes to add to my library, I get the following message:

Picture 1.png

And before you ask, I already tried both repairing permissions and restarting.

Can anyone PLEASE help me?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    What does this screen look like? Does it show read & write?

Attached Files:

3. devburke thread starter Guest

Picture 1.png

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Are you logged in with the Admin account, and iTunes is fully updated? You should check on this screen and check the folder where everything is saved to make sure you have r&w permission. You can find that in the advanced section of preferences.

Attached Files:

5. devburke thread starter Guest

Yep, everything's all updated. Strangely enough, it looks like on my iTunes Music folder specifically, I only had write permissions. Do you have any idea why that might have been changed, and why Repair Permissions didn't catch it?

Actually, I just noticed that it was checked as a shared folder, which I did a week or two ago when I was trying to copy some music to my girlfriend's computer, I guess I forgot to uncheck it. As for why that changed my permissions, I don't know. But it still seems like repairing them ought to have fixed it, and even after unsharing it, I still only have write permissions. I'm currently in the process of repairing permissions one more time to see if it catches it now that it's unchecked.

I realize I could just manually change the permissions, but I want the computer to act as it should and catch these things without me manually changing them.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I think if it manually changed by you, one way or another, it isn't going to prompt you to change it back. But at least you figured out the problem! :D

7. devburke thread starter Guest

Well thanks! :D I wouldn't have thought to check the permissions for the individual folder, since the message suggested it was the whole HD. Just to check, I'm the only one who's supposed to have r+w right? So "staff" and "everyone" should still be set to read only?

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Unless you want them to be able to change stuff. I just leave it the way it is, and make sure YOU have write/read access. It doesn't really matter if you are the only one who uses your computer.