iTunes won't play songs if I leave it open and not playing for a bit.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skiwildcat7, Sep 9, 2007.

1. skiwildcat7 macrumors newbie

My iTunes has been acting rather oddly for the past week or so, basically what happens is I open it and it works fine, but then for some reason if I leave the computer for about as little as 5 minutes and simply leave iTunes open with nothing playing, iTunes won't play any songs. I press play and simply nothing happens. Then suddenly it'll begin working again within 5 minutes of repeatedly switching windows and clicking on songs multiple times. Also, sometimes when I close iTunes after this happening it'll say something about too many files being opened to copy, even though I didn't try to copy anything. Also, before I upgraded to the latest iTunes, it would say "coverflow not available on this computer." So basically I updated to the latest iTunes today but it still happens, but now coverflow works. I ran cocktail to see if anything like disk permissions could be messing something up but iTunes is still doing the problem. I have a black macbook one year old, I think 2 GHz and a gig of memory, 120 gig hardrive.
    Thanks.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can do 2 things. Firstly reset the PRAM. Restart your computer and when the chime rings in press and hold down "command, option, P and R. Allow the Mac to restart. See if that repairs your issue.
    If not then do an Archive and Install. This will install a whole new system folder while keeping your settings and software in tact. Usually this fixes everything unless a reformat is necessary.