iUP: What’s the lowest credit score accepted?

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I’m considering joining iUP with the iPhone X, but I don’t have the best credit score - it’s not horrible, but it is below average (depending on who you ask, 590-630). I’d rather not waste the preorder time (or hard credit check) to sign up for iUP if I know I’m gonna fail for that (I can afford to buy it all at once if need-be).

So has anyone heard stories of people being accepted in that range or below? Preferably recently, like with iPhone 8/Plus.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
I’m considering joining iUP with the iPhone X, but I don’t have the best credit score - it’s not horrible, but it is below average (depending on who you ask, 590-630). I’d rather not waste the preorder time (or hard credit check) to sign up for iUP if I know I’m gonna fail for that (I can afford to buy it all at once if need-be).

So has anyone heard stories of people being accepted in that range or below? Preferably recently, like with iPhone 8/Plus.
I’d imagine that you’d be accepted easily as it’s not a huge loan amount and I have heard of very few rejections. That said, if you were rejected it isn’t usually forewarned by the credit score anyway as each lender determine ‘scores’ differently and look at different aspects of your finances

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's only the payment plan that is terrible. Barclays wouldn't expect many so IUP should be far better

USF813

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Tampa
I’d just pay in full and not use the upgrade program. I tried to use this program but was unable to because pre-paid cell/data plans don’t qualify. I don’t wish to be locked into a carrier for any length of time. I like the freedom to switch carriers at will.

Jimpilot

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
No
I’d just pay in full and not use the upgrade program. I tried to use this program but was unable to because pre-paid cell/data plans don’t qualify. I don’t wish to be locked into a carrier for any length of time. I like the freedom to switch carriers at will.
Apple IUP doesn’t force you to stay with a carrier as far as I know.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

sdwaltz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
You'd have to have horrific, and I mean horrific, credit in order to not qualify for a roughly $1300 loan.

I have average credit and bought a house.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

USF813

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Tampa
Apple IUP doesn’t force you to stay with a carrier as far as I know.
When I told the Apple store rep I was on a pre-paid plan she told me those aren’t eligible for the upgrade program. Only traditional contract-like plans are.

Juansito

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
You should be good, they pretty much accept anyone with the occasional rejection for no reason... spin the wheel and try your luck lol

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2011
When I told the Apple store rep I was on a pre-paid plan she told me those aren’t eligible for the upgrade program. Only traditional contract-like plans are.
Only postpaid plans are eligible. There is no contract required with the carrier.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
You'd have to have horrific, and I mean horrific, credit in order to not qualify for a roughly $1300 loan.

I’ve been turned down for credit cards in the past. Having credit scores in this range mean you can’t take anything for granted. I mean, I got a car loan too, but at a horrible interest.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I hate to be THAT guy who says it's irresponsible to take a loan and put yourself in a bad financial situation, but, man, if you have below-average credit (which implies you're already not in a great financial situation), then maybe in your case it's not the best idea to go take another loan to buy the most expensive iPhone ever produced...

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I hate to be THAT guy who says it's irresponsible to take a loan and put yourself in a bad financial situation, but, man, if you have below-average credit (which implies you're already not in a great financial situation), then maybe in your case it's not the best idea to go take another loan to buy the most expensive iPhone ever produced...
You don't know the OP's financial situation. There are many reasons why credit could be below average. Example; a Loss of job from years ago and falling behind in bills can ruin your credit and it stays on there for years even if you have a great job now. Doesn't mean they are irresponsible.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
That’s what I was told. Not interested in post-paid plans.
This isn't true. I'm on a contract-free, month to month plan on T-Mobile. The carrier and plan don't matter at all - you're buying a phone, not a service.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You'd be surprised.
Your personal score and credit history is not the same as others and every situation is unique.
Citizens is very conservative when it comes to giving out credit so they will not approve just anyone for a $1300 credit loan.

michael31986

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2008
Apple upgrade is unlocked phone and can be used on any carrier. You just have to pick carrier when you order the phone that’s all.

USF813

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Tampa
This isn't true. I'm on a contract-free, month to month plan on T-Mobile. The carrier and plan don't matter at all - you're buying a phone, not a service.
Nonetheless, I do not do post-paid plans, ever. Taxes and regulatory fees on post-paid plans are a rip-off. And Apple would not allow me to use the upgrade program while on a pre-paid plan.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Nonetheless, I do not do post-paid plans, ever. Taxes and regulatory fees on post-paid plans are a rip-off. And Apple would not allow me to use the upgrade program while on a pre-paid plan.
My plan is pre-paid. Has been since I joined the IUP (the first year it was introduced). You've been given incorrect information.

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I’m considering joining iUP with the iPhone X, but I don’t have the best credit score - it’s not horrible, but it is below average (depending on who you ask, 590-630).
Under 620 is considered sub-prime for mortgage loans (I'm a Realtor, I deal with FICO's all day long). If you're in that range, I'm willing to bet that you're not going to be approved.

There also isn't just one score, there's loads of them. Also, FICO isn't even the only game in town for scores. There's also VantageScores.

Go create an account on CreditKarma -- it'll give you your vantage scores. Also, you may want to resolve whatever your credit issues are, moving forward.

Try IUP, but don't be surprised if they say no.

Reactions: Applejuiced

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2011
That’s what I was told. Not interested in post-paid plans.
Yes and the postpaid plans are not a contract.
[doublepost=1508477823][/doublepost]
My plan is pre-paid. Has been since I joined the IUP (the first year it was introduced). You've been given incorrect information.
Can you elaborate a little about your prepaid plan?

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I’d work on improving your credit before spending a grand on a phone...
Why? What does one have to do with another? This isn’t a mortgage, where I’ll be killed on interest and terms if I don’t fix my credit first. In fact, iUP doesn’t charge interest. I may not get approved, which is my whole point of asking this question, but even if I had a FICO score of 850, it would make zero difference on the grand I’d be spending on the phone (actually $550 after the sale of my old phone).