Ivanka Trump Linked To Chinese Factory That Paid Workers Just $62 A Week

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Apr 27, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

got to love the make America great make stuff in America champion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ivanka-trump-chinese-factory_us_59009e51e4b0026db1dceb0a?yb8

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

There's no reason that both she and her dad shouldn't be making stuff here now. Do they want to "Make America Great Again" or not? It's not supposed to be Make Yourself Even Richer.

3. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Not surprised. Just like he walked back pulling out of NAFTA and is back in negotiations with the big currency manipulator. But hey .... MAGA!!!

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

if you own apple products you are just as guilty of buying products using slave wages.................. :D

5. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Damn right, just like most of the other items that we purchase. ;)

6. darksithpro macrumors regular

"according to an October audit by the watchdog group Fair Labor Association."

Last time I checked Trump and Ivanka weren't in the White House in October. Trump flat out admitted he was one of the Wolves during his campaign. He admitted donating to both parties and using outsourcing in the past for personal gain, and that he wanted to fix that problem. So this is nothing new. Another non-story trying to create hyperbole.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Um, do you think anything has changed since October? Are these products still being made for peanuts in China? Yes or no?

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, but Apple does not have links to - and nor is it owned by - The First Family (and I deplore their labour practices). There is a difference, you know.

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

so slave labor is ok as long as people you disagree with don't benefit?

10. darksithpro macrumors regular

Is there even a way currently to mass produce clothing here in the US? You can't really fault someone for doing business in the only way they know how to do it, if there's literally no other way right now. That's like faulting someone for not buying an American car, when there are no American dealerships to go to.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

There's always a way. Especially when you have billions of dollars to do it. But in order to have the way, you've got to have the will. Which clearly this family doesn't. It's all lip service.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You know the reason. :)

13. Scepticalscribe, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

False equivalence - and yet another attempt to derail a thread @jkcerda, as you know well: We are discussing the obnoxious Trumps and their unethical and egregious practices; they matter because they are ruling your country, like a disgusting, tacky, tawdry and tasteless Third World Family Enterprise, the sort busy robbing and raping and plundering the country for their own economic benefit.

Two further points: Personally, I would be quite happy to pay market rates for an Apple computer made by American employees protected by trade union rates of guaranteed income, none of this privatised personal wage structure nonsense disguised by calling it weasel words on the line of something paid to 'independent contractors'.

And - on the topic of Families: Just think of the screaming outrage if a President (Hillary Rodham) Clinton had Chelsea Clinton in the office next door, as an adviser (not formally appointed by, or accountable to, or voted on by any legislative body) who was busy advising Mummy but also running the Clinton Foundation and negotiating tax breaks and market entry with - shall we say, - less than fully democratic - regimes. The howls of shrieking (right wing) outrage would shatter chandeliers.

14. darksithpro macrumors regular

That's like saying it's possible to make an outfit out of gold, while paying people 500 dollars an hour to make it and selling your product for 10 bucks. It's not economically viable. So yes, there's a way not to be a billionaire anymore by selling products at a loss. Thus the reason everyone outsources to other countries.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sigh: This binary mindset, I don't think I'll ever get it.

There is a nice, long, variegated spectrum (I think) between being a billionaire - on the one hand - and facing bankruptcy, (on the other), you know.

You can earn a bit less than proverbial Billionairedom, and still make a very comfortable living, manufacturing a product that is admired and sought and bought by the purchasing public (in other words, one that has a reputation for quality) - while paying your staff properly and treating both them and your customers with respect.

It just means that you don't need to pursue profit to the complete and total exclusion of all else.....

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

They sell luxury products. Let me repeat that: luxury products. Not some bargain basement items that must be produced incredibly cheaply. You are using ridiculous examples ($500 an hour, really?) and are making excuses. Those excuses don't fly with me.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

You don't need $500 an hour (what is that? a lawyer?) - just decent guaranteed wages and union representation to secure these wages and protect the rights of organised labour.

But, alas, some of our right wing friends want nothing more than to depress wages, while expelling immigrants, thus turning the domestic underclass into a class of something approximating to serfs.

18. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

derail? come on, just pointing out the faux outrage .

19. darksithpro macrumors regular

Why are you so outraged that one of Ivanka's clothing lines, before her daddy was President was using cheap Chinese labor? Why does that make you so mad? Did she do something illegal to invoke the Impeachment process? If you're outraged at her for this, then you need to be equally outraged at all the other clothing companies that do the same, which is pretty much everyone, because if not you're unfairly singling out individuals. This is a classical example of a non-story being pushed by the extreme left website Wapo.

20. Scepticalscribe, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, derail, along with sleepers, and tracks leading elsewhere. It is your forte, my friend, along with mole sauce (a recipe I am still awaiting, by the way: And, on that matter, as I am planning to prepare a chilli con carne - my own, legendary, if often tweaked and not remotely purist version of - that dish tomorrow, so, if you have any insights to offer on culinary matters, they shall be received most gratefully).

21. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

MIL makes AWESOME chili con carne, man that has me drooling..Mole? post 9
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mole-moms-recipe.1989198/#post-23277127

did you mean the recipe for the Swiss enchiladas?

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

She is in an office alongside Daddy, - unqualified, un-appointed, unaccountable, - wielding a vast amount of political power and influence and insufficiently divorced from her companies to be able to disprove the notion that her proximity (physical, political, familial) to Daddy offers commercial advantage - (I'd say she might have questions to answer under the emoluments clause).

Moreover, it seems that he may have changed - or reversed - the implementation some of his promised policies (on say, trade with China) in order to allow her a business advantage. Seriously, I think that they both may have questions to answer, or has the putrid stench of such corruption become do normalised so rapidly that none of you see anything wrong wth the White House resembling some of the worst central Asian Family Dictatorships?

For an instructive comparison, take a look at Uzbekistan, which had uncomfortable and unsettling similarities with what may be unfolding in your country, until 1) the daughter (Gulnara Karimova) was placed under house arrest (yes, for corruption among other things) a few years ago, and 2), mortality caught up with her progenitor last year when his demise occurred. Even dictators struggle with vanquishing death.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2017 ---
    What is the chile con carne recipe? (You're forgiven much, though not all, if you can come up with it.)

23. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

still trying to get it from her, it's surprising how many people don't like handing out their secrets.
    [​IMG]

24. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

So... if I'm understanding all the ridiculous outrage....

Most of you are now saying that you want Trump to be making personal business decisions and control the operations of said private business investments while he is the President?

Strange because everyone keeps saying he shouldn't have any personal involvement in the companies that he owns or is associated with while he's in office.

So... it's up to the people currently running those businesses to make decisions of how they're going to operate without any input from Trump.

Everyone wants to complain on both ends, and have it both ways. So either he leaves those business decisions to others, or he takes over. You can't have it both ways.

25. darksithpro macrumors regular

Just because the Trump team "may", or "might" have done illegal things as you have put, doesn't actually equate to any factual evidence that they have. Yet MSM articles you cite treat suspicions as actual fact. So perhaps your personal preconceptions and feelings towards certain groups of people and individuals have clouded your judgement into unfairly treating others and forming objective opinions?