Ivanka Trump Told Michael Cohen to Talk to Russian about Tower in Moscow

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ChrisWB, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

The thread title is taken from the Newsweek article's title.

Newsweek, Buzzfeed, and other sources are reporting that Ivanka Trump was negotiating business deals in Moscow during Trump Sr.'s presidential campaign.

The Washington Post speculates that Trump Sr.'s campaign was an attempt by the family to expand their personal fortunes.

None of this is illegal (as far as we know), but it does reveal that Ivanka was directly involved in the communication with Russia.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I have often said that Trump is (only) interested in fleecing America.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Why are told,talk and tower capitalised in the thread title?

4. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Probably because of style manual guidelines. Usually in titles of news pieces, verbs and common nouns (that would be lower case in a sentence) are capitalized. Parts of speech like conjunctions and prepositions are left as lower case.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

this Must be it ... can we just start the impeachment party already? :cool:

6. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

But Trump said during the campaign that he has no business connection with Russia. Could he have lied? I'm shocked.

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

LOL not until the GOP leadership is on board... sorry to disappoint...

[sincerely, Nancy and Chuck :D ]​

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Thanks for that, it lead me to look further into it.It appears capitalising words in headlines in the past was the newspaper equivalent of shouting although it has eased off recently.Why anybody would want a thread title to appear as a tabloid headline is anyones guess.

capitals
    “I am a poet: I distrust anything that starts with a capital letter and ends with a full stop” (Antjie Krog)

Times have changed since the days of medieval manuscripts with elaborate hand-illuminated capital letters, or Victorian documents in which not just proper names, but virtually all nouns, were given initial caps (a Tradition valiantly maintained to this day by Estate Agents).

A look through newspaper archives would show greater use of capitals the further back you went. The tendency towards lowercase, which in part reflects a less formal, less deferential society, has been accelerated by the explosion of the internet: some web companies, and many email users, have dispensed with capitals altogether.

Our style reflects these developments. We aim for coherence and consistency, but not at the expense of clarity. As with any aspect of style, it is impossible to be wholly consistent – there are almost always exceptions, so if you are unsure check for an individual entry in this guide. But here are the main principles:
    jobs all lc, eg prime minister, US secretary of state, chief rabbi, editor of the Guardian.

titles cap up titles, but not job description, eg President Barack Obama (but the US president, Barack Obama, and Obama on subsequent mention); the Duke of Westminster (the duke at second mention); Pope Francis but the pope.

government departments in English-speaking countries
    Initial capitals when full name is used, eg Home Office, Foreign Office, Ministry of Justice (UK), Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security (US), Department of Immigration and Border Protection (Australia), Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Irish Republic), Ministry of Railways (India).
    Lowercase when abbreviated or paraphrased, eg justice ministry, defense department, Australia’s immigration department, Canadian fisheries ministry, Indian railway ministry, etc.
    Lowercase for translations of government departments in non-English-speaking countries, eg French foreign ministry, Russian ministry of emergency situations, etc.

See departments of state for a full list of British ones

government agencies, public bodies, quangos initial caps, eg Crown Prosecution Service, Equality and Human Rights Commission, Heritage Lottery Fund, Parole Board, Revenue & Customs.

acts of parliament initial caps (but bills lc), eg Official Secrets Act, Child Poverty Act 2010, local government bill.

airports cap the name but lc the generic part (if necessary at all), eg Heathrow, Gatwick (no need for “airport”), Liverpool John Lennon airport.

artistic and cultural names of institutions, etc, get initial caps, eg British Museum, National Gallery, Royal Albert Hall, Tate Modern. Books, films, music, works of art, etc have initial caps except a, an, and, at, for, from, in, of, the, to (except in initial positions or after a colon), eg There is a Light That Never Goes Out.

bridges initial caps, eg Brooklyn Bridge, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Waterloo Bridge.

churches, hospitals and schools cap up the proper or placename, lc the rest, eg St Nicolas church, Newbury; Great Ormond Street children’s hospital; Ripon grammar school, Vernon county primary school.

epochs initial caps, eg Anthropocene, Mesolithic, Palaeolithic.

geographical features lc, eg Sydney harbour, Monterey peninsula, Bondi beach, Solsbury hill (but Mount Everest).

parliamentary committees, reports and inquiries
    all lc, eg trade and industry select committee, royal commission on long-term care for the elderly, Jenkins report.

stadiums initial caps when it is in the name of the venue eg London Stadium, Etihad Stadium, but leave out whenever possible eg at Wembley, at Old Trafford.

universities and colleges of further and higher education caps for institution, lc for departments, eg Sheffield University department of medieval and modern history, Oregon State University, Free University of Berlin, University of Queensland school of journalism, London College of Communication.

words and phrases based on proper names that have lost connection with their origins (alsatian dog, cardigan, cheddar cheese, french windows, swiss roll, wellington boots, yorkshire pudding and many others) are lc.

Those that retain a strong link, which may be legally recognised, include Cornish pasty, Melton Mowbray pork pies, Parma ham, Jersey Royal potatoes and Worcestershire sauce, and take initial cap.

Although champagne and scotch are legally required to come from Champagne and Scotland, they are almost universally regarded as lc

https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-c

9. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

HA... The ultimate deflection. Well done. A discussion about the Trump family charade turns into a lesson on punctuation and grammar. Love it.

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well it is interesting... and @Peterkro is right that the times they are a changin' but not necessarily everywhere. I had noticed for instance that Bloomberg and the New York Times still use the "initial caps" style in their online headlines but The Washington Post and The Guardian do not.

But back to the sense rather than style of the thread title and its Newsweek headline: we're never going to find the Trumps clearly divorcing themselves from dealmaking, it is how they were all raised and have spent their careers.

What's so alarming about the Trumps who landed in "public service" is that they see no reason not to cut government deals that would enrich them or their businesses. But then why would they want to cut a deal that would hurt their own interests?

This question is why traditionally the President of the USA divests himself of financial holdings and puts the proceeds into a blind trust. That way he cannot be said to lack the appearance of propriety, even if he is not subject to most conflict of interest laws that apply to other government officials.

11. ChrisWB thread starter macrumors 6502

The first sentence in the thread answers your question. The title of the thread is copied directly from the Newsweek article's title. I'm not sure why the snide comments are necessary, Peterkro.

On the topic of the thread, the Trump family has consistently lied about their business dealings in Russia. Trump claimed that "I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA — NO DEALS, NO LOANS, NO NOTHING!". That has repeatedly been shown to have been a lie. Trump Jr. has a history of boasting about the family's wealth originating from Russia.

12. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I'll bring the Fritos and the Oreos!

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I always capitalise my epochs, natch.

14. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I would expect no less than such respect for the passage of time from you, sir.

Me, I'm grateful if they don't spell it "epic". It's not like a spellchecker respects context.

A lot of magazines still have the (to me) extremely annoying habit of using the equivalent of "illuminated manuscript" style when they start a new section of a long read, i.e. if the first sentence in the new section is "When Peterson joined the firm, and then decided to hire..." then the W is set as a graphic, not as text. If one means to clip a quote and that paragraph is included, one may fail to notice having converted Mr. Peterson into a hen. The results of clips like that are not always particularly hilarious depending on what word was corrupted and to whom the clip was eventually sent.

But speaking of corruption...

I would save the Fritos and Oreos for after we find out what else Trump promised besides whatever the Russians are now faxing documents to the White House "to confirm" agreements Putin's claiming that he and Trump made in Helsinki. Might have to order caviar instead...

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Rumor has it that Trump gave up Crimea and other areas...

16. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Like Alaska?

17. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

So during the campaign Trump kept dismissing the possibility of Russian interference and all the while he was negotiating for a Moscow Trump Tower. Can you say "conflict of interest?"

As president elect, he was shown detailed intelligence (similar to that used in Mueller's recent indictment of 12 Russians) that showed ("extremely strong and powerful" evidence, to use Trump's language) that Putin was behind the election meddling, yet even up to now he has kept on downplaying and denying that in his public statements ("He's fine"). Can you say cover-up of a felony?

18. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

How long is the list of contacts when - originally - they emphatically stated there were none? The list is a mile long.

I have no idea whatsoever as to the legality of all this. He and everyone else (except those already having plead guilty) could be innocent, but the vast amount of blatant and obvious lies regarding this whole situation is almost laughable at this point. They could have just said "We meet lots of people, we do lots of business the world over and we may have well talked to, met or facilitated meetings with Russians, but it was not campaign related". They'd probably still be lying, but it would make all of these other things seem a little less mundane.

19. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

This belongs in the conflicts of interest thread.

20. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

Riveting, just riveting.

The big question is which one owns an iMac?

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

What I keep wondering about with this blabbermouth is how the US intel agencies decide to shelter information (ours or from allies) that they figure should not land on Trump's desk for fear of it taking a hike in some wrong direction.

Of course by now the real danger could be that there are allies withholding info from us that we need for our national security. All around some knotty problems. I suppose the DNI squashes some reports on grounds it's raw info or something, or that they don't have clear confidence in it.

LOL on the other hand Trump doesn't like being briefed anyway so probably the summary-level stuff he sees could cloak quite a few omissions of stuff his intel advisors would rather he not see so he can't talk about it where he shouldn't.

And as for Trump dissing his agencies: not to put too fine a point on it, how nuts do you have to be to disrespect the men and women who work in 17 USA intelligence agencies anyway? Does Trump ever think about that? Some of those staffers are out there covert and in personal danger all the time they're on a job. And they all essentially serve at his pleasure.... not that the ones who are anonymous to him now hope ever to become known by name. What a rush when they get to see some of his swell tweets blasting them, huh? "Thank you Mr. President. Catch ya later."

What this has to do with the thread topic is this: What does Trump say to Ivanka and Jared that shouldn't get said (regardless of their own security clearances and keeping in mind that they, not he are subject to conflict of interest regs). What intel wafts from them to elsewhere in the Trump family and hence to the biz plans of Trump's empire? Is there any difference in Trump's mind between his empire in the private sector and his empire the USA? It's never been clear to me that any of Don, Ivanka and Jared make much of a distinction between private and official interests. As for Don Jr. and Eric. who don't even work for the government, who the heck knows. They don't have security clearances as far as I know. They definitely are focused on the private Trump empire and would have huge conflicts of interests if privy to government secrets.