I've been screwed. :( Sound sounds distorted on iPhone 4s.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by memo90061, Sep 16, 2012.

1. memo90061 macrumors regular

Hello. I can't believe my bad luck I swear! :( I just feel like crying. I had a Samsung Galaxy S3, and I traded it for an iPhone 4s. I shouldn't have done that. My Samsung Galaxy S3 was practically new.

I tested the phone (except headphone jack), and everything was working fine. I got home, and added all my music. I was going to listen to music with my headphones, and the sound sounds distorted. I reset the iPhone, changed volume levels of my songs, and right now I'm going to restore the phone. My internet is being slower than usual, and the Software Update should be done downloading in an hour.

First off the phone has a Vapor Pro case, and the guy didn't even give me the wrench to remove the case. The case is nice though. I want to clean everything though. I bought some small hex wrenches, and even the smallest one is too big for the case. I bought the wrench online, so who knows when I'll get it in the mail.

I checked the serial number online, and it's still under warranty.

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
    Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
    Estimated Expiration Date: October 18, 2012

Can I just take it to an Apple store, and have them fix it? Would I have to show proof of purchase? I don't have one because I traded phones. How long would it take them to fix it?

I seriously can't believe my bad luck. :( I feel like screaming/crying. lkjdflkjdflkhdflhk!!!

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just take it to the apple store and they will replace it
    For free.

3. drakestan macrumors regular

Relax. If it's under warranty you can get it replaced as long as everything else is seemingly okay. I bought a 160GB ipod classic off cragislist for $30 because it was broken and I thought I could fix it. I couldn't. I brought it in to Apple and it was still under warranty (lol), got a brand new one for free.

4. TableSyrup macrumors 6502

Take it in to an apple store.

It is covered. They will fix or replace it for you

(Applecare is tied to the hardware, not the owner, so whoever is in physical possession of it can have it repaired)

5. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

You might luck out and Apple gives you a BRAND NEW ONE! Then you got the better end of the deal lol

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Maybe....

I have a friend who has an iPhone 4 with this very issue. The problem is her child shoved a crayon into her ear phone port ruining the ground. Because it wasn't a defect but caused by the user it wasn't covered. This sounds like the same issue. Most likely the person he bought it from ruined the ear phone port and this is how they got rid of the problem... They probably knew it was defective and wouldn't be covered under warranty.

7. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

Bring it to the apple store , they will check if. It's under warranty in their computer and won't ask for a receipt

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No need to cry, just take it to an Apple Store and they'll swap it out.

9. memo90061 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much for the replies. I feel somewhat relieved. I really hope they get to fix it quick or replace it. When they replace it do they give you a new one there, or do they send it through the mail?

I'm using the phone through a Gevey sim since it's not unlocked. I'm using it with T-Mobile prepaid. Should I tell them I don't have a sim card for it yet? It's also jailbroken, and I'm going to restore it right now. My internet just keeps getting slower and slower. It now says I have to wait 77 minutes. :/

I'm going to have to go tomorrow at 10am.

Thank you very much for all the replies. I feel so much better. I swear my eyes were getting watery. :(

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Apple should take care of you.

Though lots of people do private deals, etc... I prefer to just deal with ATT or Apple. To each their own.

Get to the store soon.

Maybe you can talk them into a I-5

11. drakestan macrumors regular

I'd take the case off first though

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OMG! Such bad luck that your phone may need repair and it is under warranty. Quit crying and go to Apple. They can help with the phone but probably not with such irrational behavior.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

I am sorry but that's the stupidest thing that I have ever heard. You had a like new two month old flagship phone and traded it for a 11 month old phone that just got replaced ? ........

14. 617aircav Suspended

Just hope it's not water damaged

----------

Not a trade I would have done.

15. mobutt macrumors 6502

i lol'd, good s***

16. memo90061 thread starter macrumors regular

I had an iPhone 4, and sold it because I wanted to try out Android. I had two weeks with the phone, and I really liked many things about it except the music player. I downloaded different music players, and they all sounded really low compared to the iPhone 4 I had. The Galaxy S3 did seem much faster, but they were things I missed from the iPhone. I have a lot of family out of the country that have an iPod Touch, so I wasn't communicating with them much because I no longer had iMessage or FaceTime. I would have kept the S3 if it wasn't because of the music sounding low, which is an irony considering this phones music sounds worse with distortion. I really thought about it. I kept asking myself if I really wanted to trade a new phone for a year old phone.

There is no way I can remove the case! It has super small hex screws, and the guy didn't even give me the wrench to remove the case. I ordered one online, so I don't know when it will arrive.

17. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

You could go to a Home Depot and use one of the hex wrenches to open it (several models should be accessible enough to allow you to do this). Also, if they're going to honor the warranty (assuming no water damage/obvious misuse) they will just exchange it right there for you, no mail.

18. taedouni macrumors 65816

I don't know what case it is but if that guy didn't take the phone out of the case to show you then there's a good chance that it had some type of physical damage that he didn't want you to know about.

19. iWallace26 macrumors regular

20. daydayvol macrumors regular

You better restore the phone. Apple will not touch the phone if it is jail broken.

21. memo90061 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the replies guys. I will go to Home Depot to look for the hex wrench. :)

The case is only metal around the edges. The front and back have a screen protector. It looks like new, but it looks like it has a lot of dust on the edges.

I just restored the phone. :D

22. memo90061 thread starter macrumors regular

I went to Home Depot, and was able to remove the case. It looks new now. I went to the Apple store, and I have to go back later. They said if it was the headphone jack, and if it was still under warranty they would replace it! Ah! When they replace it do you get the same color iPhone?

23. ejisfun macrumors regular

Yes, you get the same color. Only way I've ever gotten a different one was when they were out of black iPhones one time, so they just asked if I wanted a white one.

24. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

25. flatfoot99 Guest

also, have you tried a different pair of headphones?