I've begun ignoring the crazies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by einmusiker, Apr 6, 2016.

1. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

so I've decided to just push the ignore button on the usual suspects that keep posting the same ammo-sexual, Hitlary, Osamabama, Trump for the win type threads in PRSI forum and my macrumors experience has improved tenfold. I'd recommend everyone else do the same

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

If your life became miserable because someone on the internet wrote something that you didn't like, you need medical help. :p

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That's one way to create your very own safe space. :rolleyes:

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But I think the lesson has already been learned....some people only say crazy things and don't have much to offer outside of that.

6. Robisan macrumors 6502

Pretty sure wallowing in the stupid isn't going to make anyone smarter. It's funny as hell though, so there's that...

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Free entertainment :D

8. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

The point is, I found myself visiting this forum less and less because of the constant tabloid headline threads from the usual suspects. Just offering up some helpful advice to users who might have experienced the same

9. Robisan macrumors 6502

Just have to be careful. The stupid sometimes burns.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

takes all the fun out of it plus there would not be any post lot anymore.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Lower your standards and less things seem stupid :p
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2016 ---
    You might own a glock in 9 mm then :p

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well usually to qualify you have to have a accidental discharge. on the toilet or movie theater gets your a higher rank.

14. thewap, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Strangers do not want to have sex with you in PRSI. If they did want to have sex with you, then your "disappointment and emotions would be more important.

Many people's emotions these days are overwhelming and must somehow crush the stimulus of their own
    negative emotional experience, because they are not mature human beings, like infants having a tantrum.

Being able to remove negative stimuli removed from your life by having tantrum of one kind or another, If you scream loudly enough..will the bad things go away??

Just push the ignore button, I'm sure the bad things will go away..away...away.......away.........away......(echo) Helo?........hello?.................Hello?......(echo)

15. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Uh ... good for you? The internet is a scary place. :eek:

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2016 ---
    I think Huxley called it Soma.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I can see blocking people that agitate you, but blocking people you disagree with seems silly given the nature of what PSRI is and will always be.

In my mind having a discussion only with people who share you same opinion is pretty useless or uninteresting. You shouldn't need to seek reinforcement of your own opinions by finding others.

I get the point you're making, you don't want to bother listening to people you continuously find offensive or rude or whatever. But in my opinion it's only representative of the real world... At MR PRSI section is generally quite liberal.

At the end of the day it's your choice. Believe me some of these articles that are being posted seriously make me considering blocking not because I'm not open to the opinion, but to filter out the conspiracy BS I could care less about.

And not to sound rude I'm not sure why you have to announce it to the world that you're blocking people, as if it's some sort of insult people might otherwise not recognize.

18. FieldingMellish Suspended

You will eventually be reached. We have plenty of colorful chalk. ;)

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

You can't learn from idiocy fortunately.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    Unfortunately some of what gets posted is racist or really quite mysoginist, undeniably........ And the amount of it that gets posted makes trying to find the interesting threads amongst the baiting tosh is infuriating.

Its amazing how much better PRSI when certain posters aren't around.

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Why bother spending any time in a controversial part of a forum if you're so concerned about what others could say OP?

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

I, for one, only wish to see and read posts that correspond with my world view, in a comfortable and cozy atmosphere of like-minded individuals, and with whom we all completely agree. :)

22. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You forgot the /s, other wise you're wasting your own time spending time on a forum where arguably over half the users disagree with your view.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

Marking sarcasm as sarcasm defeats the purpose of sarcasm.

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That might be true in tactical conversations but on the internet it is really hard to see if someone is being sarcastic! We can't read minds or infer inflection across the Internet! :rolleyes:

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I know what you mean. I've noticed a yuuuuge increase in the number of conspiracy, propaganda and yellow journalism sites quoted here. I suppose that's not technically against the rules, but it certainly used to be frowned upon. Conservatives used to be able to make a point without relying on that crap. Not so much anymore.

But I've also noticed one or two of the more ridiculous threads posted by those same "usual suspects" where the first dozen or so posts were all from those very same suspects. It was, in effect, a red wing nut echo chamber without liberal or moderate participation. I'm always disappointed when the echo chamber effect eventually gets broken by someone a little bit saner taking the bait and posting in the same thread. As far as I'm concerned, let the crazies talk to each other and the rest of us will participate in the more rational threads.