I've done my research (PC convert), but is there anything I missed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PDFierro, Sep 8, 2009.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Hey guys,... I might be new to Mac soon enough, and I'm new to MacRumors. I have used PCs all my life (College-aged, but not in college. Get it?) and have only used Macs in grade school. I didn't know what they were at the time, just thought the interface was unique and cool-looking.

Been wanting to convert for a while now, just never had the money nor time. I just returned a Sony VAIO within my 30-day window. Windows sucks. Why is it I now realize that dropping 1 grand on a Windows PC is a big deal, but dropping it on a Mac isn't? I'm a writer, that's my profession. So that, among other things, is why I'm seriously considering a Mac right now.

To the point,... I feel like I've done my research, but I need reassurance. 2GB of RAM is surely enough with Snow Leopard, right? At least what I've read. Multi-tasking? Would like to watch a movie and do my writing at the same time, and maybe web browse or check my mail or something. But that's a rarity.

And I feel as if I'm missing something. Despite only ever using a Mac in school, I feel like I know the Mac pretty well. Surely I know everything there is to know?

Sorry for long post! Got carried away. Looking at getting the latest white MacBook if I decide to pull the trigger. Main reason for this post is I'm seeing if I need to customize it. As of now, I hate the aluminum look, so that's why I am looking at the white one.

Thanks a bunch.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You seem all good. Macs tend to handle multi-tasking significantly better then PC'. Remember you can upgrade the ram yourself without voiding the warranty and that will likely be cheaper then through Apple.

Just hold on to the ram that comes with the computer, because if for whatever reason you have to have your computer sent in, Apple is notorious for stealing third-party ram.

3. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Quick reply. Thanks for the tip. I might still need to customize it (hard drive space), but now I feel better about the RAM. If anybody has anything else that I should know, I welcome it. Thanks again for your help.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

To second the opinion, 2GB should be perfectly fine for what you're describing doing. If, however, you want more in the future (or even right away), it's going to be way cheaper buying 3rd party and just installing it yourself. Very simple process, and if you buy somewhere with a lifetime warranty and Mac support, such as OWC or DMS, you shouldn't have any trouble.

I'd say the same for the hard drive, for what it's worth; if you really don't like messing around with the guts of your computer, then doing a build-to-order from Apple isn't a big deal. If, however, you want the best bang for your buck, you can get a new 500GB hard drive with a 3 year warrant for under $90, and the replacement procedure in the white MacBooks is VERY easy, plus you get the old internal drive to keep unlike the CTO upgrades from Apple. Much better deal. (If you decide to go this route, you might want to confirm that the drive you chose isn't going to be too thick--at least some larger notebook drives are 12mm high, while I believe the MB requires a 9.5mm drive. Other than that, any SATA drive should work.)

Not sure what you have against the Aluminum look, but you don't need the boost in graphics performance for what you want to do with it anyway, so not a big deal if you want to save a few bucks on the MB.

5. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Myself, I have never done anything internally to a computer, but I have no problem doing it either if it's not too hard. I have always been aware of how much cheaper it is third-party, though. But it seems like I can upgrade to the 250GB cheaper through Apple. I have a discount that applies to my purchase. Will have to see how much space I really need.

I can't bring myself to like the aluminum look. I like the white better overall.

I don't think I have any other questions. So thank you guys.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

well, there is more to the aluminum MB than just the looks (over the white MBs).

RAM is pretty cheap. I got 2x2GB stick of crucial from Frys' last fall for $45. It is DDR2, but whatever. I did have a bit of trouble trying to get the RAM to seat correctly. Had to look on youtube to make sure i wouldn't break anything.

7. Buzz Bumble Guest

One thing to be aware of is that the white MacBook does get very dirty very quickly with use (the keyboards, the trackpad and the palm rests if you use them), unless you're rather obsessive about cleaning it. This is one reason why I hope Apple switches to black keyboards with the next iMac update.

8. Olivier L. macrumors member

On the other hand, a 1 minute cleaning with a soft wet cloth, with computer off, every 2 or 3 weeks has kept mine very white, so not really an issue.

By the way, it is not because your laptop is grey or black that it does not get dirty. I actually now took the good habit to clean properly and regularly keyboards and mouse.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

flash video sucks on mac, machine slow to a crawl many times with most flash video. remember that.

2G is enough, but that means you take no advantages of SL's 64bit mode.

obviously massive amount of game UN-available. Im sure you know that already.

many apps are UN-available, you are likely to find a replacement if not same app. but there are many exceptions, so if there is any software you are in strict need, you should check out them first.

If you rely on certain functions of MS office, such as VB, then remember mac version wont do that.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Your first two points are debatable, at the very least. The second one, though - that I take issue with. You forget that, on x86-64, more GPRs (general purpose registers) become available to 64-bit programs. This speeds them up, even in environments where 4GB of RAM or less is present. The other three points I totally agree with.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im no expert on 64bit, so I would gladly take your point, but I do believe 64bit isn't gonna be drastically different in terms of speed at this stage.

now for the point #1.

I guess I can retract a bit, and saying "flash sucks for most people, the degree of suckness is variable", for me personally, any non-youtube flash video will slow machine to a crawl in 10 munites. netflix, hulu, veoh, cbs, etc, etc, all no-go-s.

12. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks again! I know more about what I'm buying now. This thread has been useful. I know all about PC hardware, but it's kind of different when you don't know completely about how something will run on a Mac, such as amount of RAM needed.

I'm not crazy obsessive about it, but I do try to keep my stuff clean to the best of my ability. More-so than the average person. But I didn't know the white Macs were prone to this. So I'll be sure to do what another poster said.

Yup. That was something preventing me from the switch other than money/time, but my writing software more than works on a Mac. And that's what I need most. Have never even used MS office.

13. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I guess this is my thread. Is there any disadvantage to buying a new Mac off Amazon? Any issue when it comes to the warranty? I would think not, but you never know. Contemplating whether to upgrade to 250GB from 160, seeing how much space everything would really take up.

I guess 250 is more future-proof. Obviously if I need to customize it, can't do Amazon. And does anybody know if you can order a customized model through Apple's retail store? I would think you can only do it online, or is the retail store above and beyond like that? Looking at ordering this weekend. Depending what route I go and all.

Thanks. I am really trying to love the aluminum model, I don't see it happening, unfortunately. So white one so far.

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

Apart from the non-customizability you're already aware of, no and no. Same machine, same box, same warranty. Depending on when Amazon got the stock in you might need to fill out just a bit of paperwork to update the warranty start date from whenever Apple shipped it to Amazon to when you actually got it into your hands, but that's trivial and needn't even be done if you never need to send it in for service.

You can also add Applecare at any time during the year before the stock hardware warranty runs out, regardless of where you buy it from.

Never tried it, but near-certain you can. They probably still have it built at the factory so you may still need to wait to get it from when you order it, so there may not be any advantage in doing it that way (that's how my University's authorized Bookstore purchases work), but you can if you want.

Who knows, maybe with minor things like RAM and HD config changes they do it at the store (or keep some pre-built units in stock).

15. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I used to notice issues, but a year or so ago i thought they fixed that in an update...

I haven't had any slowdowns with flash at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure netflix uses Silverlight.