Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
I've seen a lot of Posts about the Barracuda, and heard things about the Maxtor MaXline, and honestly, I just can't make a choice of what to get. I'm looking for a 500 GB internal drive (or 2) for my Mac Pro for Storage of Media, documents, and work documents and pictures.

Is there that big of a difference between internal Hard Drives?

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Go to storagereview.com or toms hardware - tons of info regarding drive performance. It all depends on what you are after: speed / heat / noise / cost / reliability / capacity - and in what balance.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Go to storagereview.com or toms hardware - tons of info regarding drive performance. It all depends on what you are after: speed / heat / noise / cost / reliability / capacity - and in what balance.

Well, thats easy! High speed, low heat, low noise, low cost, high reliability, high capacity! :D:D

Thanks for the info :)

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
What ever you do, do NOT buy that drive. I have heard it has problems. Buy the OTHER drive, that one rarely has problems.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I hate Maxtors; I've had nothing but problems with them in the past.
(They may be better now that Maxtor is owned by Seagate, but overall...I'd never purchase another Maxtor branded product again.)

I've also heard to avoid IBM/Hitachi like the plague. No wonder they call the Deskstar line "Deathstars". :D

That being said...I like Seagate myself. Quiet drives, great reliability, run cool...great warranty.

I've heard Western Digitals are very good too.

I've had a perfect experience with 2 Samsung SpinPoint drives as well.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I hate Maxtors; I've had nothing but problems with them in the past.
(They may be better now that Maxtor is owned by Seagate, but overall...I'd never purchase another Maxtor branded product again.)

I've also heard to avoid IBM/Hitachi like the plague. No wonder they call the Deskstar line "Deathstars". :D

That being said...I like Seagate myself. Quiet drives, great reliability, run cool...great warranty.

I've heard Western Digitals are very good too.

I've had a perfect experience with 2 Samsung SpinPoint drives as well.

Maxtors - agree, cheap but seem to fail quite often.

IBM Hitachi - I use these in my pc's (all of them) and they are fine, the deathstars are a long time ago. Their non perp tech drives pretty much rival first gen perp tech drives (ie 7200.10) especially at 500GB

Seagate - good warranty
Western Digital - never been interested in them since my first one of them failed.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
BikeMike - on a more productive & specific note, the new SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 drives will set the standard with huge density per platter & low / low power requirements as only 3 platters are required to get to 1 TB.

They will be available for sale shortly. My WD Raptor 150 GB boot/app drive is fast but tends to run hot and is noisy. The new SAMSUNGS will be my next choice as soon as I can find them. They will be available in 500 GB capacity as well.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Apple Corps, thanks for the info.

It came about 20 minutes too late, I just ordered 2 320GB Barracudas from Newegg for $80 each. Seemed like too good a deal to pass up :)

And just for S&G I added an APC BR1300LCD 1300VA 780 Watt Back-UPS. We had some big thunderstoms today, and my Mac Pro blinked on and off 3 times. I freaked out, ran over, turned it off and unplugged it. I them remembered that after I ordered it, I never got the UPS!

SDDave2007

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Guess most people haven't heard the news... even if it is a few years old.... MAXTOR is GONE... Seagate bought them lock stock, and barrel.

I had used Maxtor drives my entire computer career, and just installed two 400gig Seagate drives in my MacPro... fast, silent...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.