I've got a 1080p mkv, can I take advantage of h.264 in my unibody macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by olivelawn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. olivelawn macrumors newbie

I've got a 1080p mkv, can I take advantage of h.264 in my unibody macbook?

Let me start by saying i'm not an expert in codecs, containers, video or audio in general.

I have a 4GB, 2.4 Intel Core Duo, unibody macbook with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (rumored to have h.264 hardware acceleration), and running 10.5.6.

A pal of mine gave me a 4.3GB 1080p mkv file and it was basically unwatchable in vlc. The image pixelated and skipped frames. cpu pegged at 95-110%.

I installed perian and it was watchable via quicktime, but movie inspector still showed that it was still skipping frames. I was playing an average of 14FPS (out of 24FPS) and the cpu was once again pegged at 95-110%.

I went to apple's quicktime site, watched one of their 1080p mov trailer files, and movie inspector showed I was playing 24FPS out of 24FPS and cpu was about 30%. This is great. I suspect the CPU is offloading cycles to the GeForce 9400M.

Attatched are some screenshots of movie inspector--one with the mkv file running and the other with the mov apple trailer. My question is, can I somehow get my mkv movie (perhaps by transcoding into a different format?) to remain 1080p, not skip frames, and hopefully take advantage of the GeForce 9400M?

Attached Files:

• mkv.jpg
      mkv.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
      Views:
    • mov.jpg
      mov.jpg
      File size:
      32.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

We never really resolved if h.264 in an MKV container would benefit from the GPU decoding acceleration but we always leaned toward no.

3. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Yeah it's the wrong forum, but the answer is, with the right program, you can play 'em. It won't use GPU, but a multi-core aware app like PLEX will play it ok.

4. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Enter snarky mode:

What you need to do is buy a blu-ray player, a nice HDTV, and buy Planet Earth blu ray, and watch it that way, instead of "acquiring" it through a friend

;)

Leaving snarky mode