I've got the Apple Keyboard and it's great, should i get a mouse to go with it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by barny, Nov 12, 2010.

1. barny macrumors member

Hey guys,

As the Title says i recently got a wired apple extended keyboard to use on my windows machine running xp and i love it! To anyone considering getting one for use on a pc it is great! All i had to do was use a bit of freeware to remap the f13 and f14 keys to print screen and scroll lock and now its completely functional! I cant say how much i rate this keyboard!

And now to my question. I got the keyboard and am considering buying one of the Apple mice to use in conjunction with the keyboard on windows xp. I was wondering which mouse i should go for? Wired mighty mouse, wireless mighty mouse, magic mouse? I don't have bluetooth on my computer which is why a USB wired mouse would be preferred. Also are there any limitations of using an Apple mouse with windows? As long as i can get both clicks and scroll ill be fine!

All feedback welcome!

Thanks

Barny :apple:

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I wouldn't if I were you. I have used the Aluminum keyboard extensively in Windows and it is awesome, but the Logitech MX Revolution is a far more versatile mouse IMHO. Wireless, but no Bluetooth required, and the Mighty Mouse is just a step away from being a truly bad mouse.

3. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

Personally I would select the wired mouse, but it all comes down to personal preference

Go into a store that has Apple computers setup and if you can try the different ones out, and see what feels best for your hand and wrist.

No one else can really tell you what is best for you, its a personal preference.

4. izibo macrumors 6502

I really love the magic trackpad. I only use my logitech when playing games, but for EVERYTHING else, it's the trackpad.

5. -SD- macrumors 6502

Go for a Trackpad. I'm sure there must be some 3rd party software out there for Windows to give you full functionality.

The ball on the Mighty Mouse will get gunked up and stop working no matter what you do. Even with constant cleaning it will break eventually. I find the Magic Mouse to be far too low to use comfortably.

:apple:

6. toxic macrumors 68000

don't get a mouse. I don't think Apple has ever designed a good mouse. I tend to go with Microsoft for mice, that's probably the only thing they haven't screwed up...

7. barny thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replys. I have been looking around and the Microsoft Arc mouse really looks nice. Anyone have any personal experience of using one at all?

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Mighty mouse or pro mouse are only good for basic clicking and nothing more. I know because I own 2 mighty mice and one appe pro mouse. For me, there is no difference between the mighty mouse and the pro mouse. The mighty mouse in theory can scroll etc, but it REALLY SUCKS at it. If you want to have anything else apart from point and click functions, get a magic mouse :)

9. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I got the Magic Mouse, and would love to be able to use it because of its multiple-touch feature. Unfortunately, it has an "acceleration" feature which cannot be disabled and which makes it unusable. Essentially, its tracking is non-linear -- move an inch to the right, then an inch to the left, and you don't return to the same point at which you started.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'd stay away from Apple mice, although I cannot speak to the Magic Mouse because I haven't used it yet. But I recommend the Logitech Performance MX instead. I have two; one for my iMac and the other for my MBP.

11. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

"mighty mouse" is a P.O.S., hands down. But the magic trackpad is a wonderful WONDERFUL thing. I can't say enough good things about it.

However, getting it to work properly in XP would be the only issue. Hell, I even had an issue with it in OSX at first until I did a clean (re)install of snow leopard.

12. unixperience macrumors regular

BEFORE YOU SPEND MONEY ON AN APPLE MOUSE mainly the magic mouse, or the magic trackpad. they suck with windows and getting drivers if you aren't on a bootcamp mac requires some work(the drivers check for the mac partition before installing natively)
    heres a guide on how to do it(its for the magic trackpad, but the magic mouse is the same thing just find the proper file), but spending 70? bucks on a mouse for basic functionality is a bit silly to me. http://www.labnol.org/software/apple-magic-trackpad-with-windows/14158/

I used a wired mighty mouse and I liked it, it had left and right click and a 360* scroll ball, worked fine with every pc I plugged it into, no weird driver nonsense involved.

I do agree with your alum keyboard review, I'm using one right now, it's very nice. if only it had a backlight lol

13. APtalent macrumors regular

I got the might mouse for my iMac and after some extensive 5 months of usage, I can sincerely say it's freaking horrible.

Don't waste your money on it and consider a 2-button mouse They're far more ergonomic.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yup, the scroll ball is too small to use and doesn't work.

15. barny thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ok so it seems that everyone hates the mighty mouse and that the apple mice and trackpad are overpriced for just basic functionality on windows. Thanks so much for the feedback. I won't make the mistake of getting the mighty mouse then. You have to admit though, the apple mice and trackpad certainly look the best. :) I will have a look around and see what else I can find.

Barny

16. unixperience macrumors regular

on the mac the magic trackpad is the best thing ever (especially if you install a third party driver to make up your own gestures) but in windows.... it's jsut utterly useless.

I've seen the arc mouse and used it in the store. it seems a bit small to me, and it may get annoying after long periods of use