I've had a copy of SL sitting on my desk for the past 4 days...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vader1990, Sep 3, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

...and all the horror stories on this forum has kept me from installing it on my mac [Late 08 UMBP]! Should I just keep it off for a while? I'm a heavy user of multi-clutch [actually all I use is 3 fingers up and down to switch tabs in Safari], and people here tell me that multi-clutch wont work, and if you run it in 32-bit mode, it has comparatively slower speeds.

Basically I'm asking if there is anything I will gain by making the upgrade to SL? I can't so a Fresh-Install b/c I have too much research from my college classes on there.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have found more good or more unchanged than more horror stories. At best, SL and Leopard aren't all that much different to me. Printing on my HP that is networked via my AEBS is borked, but otherwise, it's not all that bad.

People are bitching about expose and frankly I had to load up my MB Air with Leopard to see WTF they were on about!

While it broke my PS CS3, I am fairly certain this was due in part to an issue not associated with SL overall.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

32-bit kernel isn't slower... I noticed no difference on 64-bit.

4. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

It's VERY buggy. If you use the computer for work. Save yourself the stress and time and wait for problems to be fixed.

5. mslide macrumors 6502a

You don't keep this sort of stuff backed up? What will you do when your hard drive crashes or your laptop gets stolen?

Personally, I've had no problems upgrading to SL and I use this machine on a daily basis at work but like all software, there are always bound to be some bugs. In fact, it was one of the most painless OS upgrade I've ever done. If you don't want to upgrade though, then don't. Leopard is still a great OS. If you don't have a backup of everything, and cannot tolerate having to do a complete wipe to go back to leopard if you have to, then I wouldn't upgrade to SL.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Slightly off topic, but I'd make sure you have a fresh backup of your data. If you cannot install a fresh copy of the OS because you have too much stuff that you cannot lose tells me you don't have a backup.

I would not do any upgrade w/o a backup and to that end, your first order of business is to make sure you have your data backed up.

As for the stability of the OS, Iv'e read more posts/threads/reviews of it being a boring issue free update (boring is good here). Yes people have issue, yes there may be some bugs but I've not really read any show stoppers - provided the software you need works under SL

check out http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

7. sputacus macrumors regular

I'm relatively new to Mac, but I've learned in the short time I've own one is to not be deterred by "horror" stories. I started reading Mac forums back in October when I was contemplating getting the 2009 17" unibody (at that time not released). I read so many posts about how bad the machine would be because it had this or didn't have that from people who haven't seen the machine yet that I almost decided to stick with Windows. I finally bit the bullet and bought the 17" and haven't looked backed.

My machine has been very solid through all the updates and upgrades (including SL). From what I can tell, most SL installations (upgrades and clean installs) are working just fine with little or no problems. That doesn't mean the problems people are reporting aren't real. But it is clear that these issues are not by any means universal.

I always create a clone of my system just prior to any major update or upgrade - if there's a problem I can't live with, I can easily re-clone my system to its previous state. So if you have a backup in place of a Leopard install that is problem free, I see no problem upgrading or clean installing. Odds are like most of us, you will be very pleased with the result. If you're not, you can always restore Leopard from your clone or backup.

Good luck!

8. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

People probably will also complain when 10.6.1 comes out that something does not work afterwards. Why not use DiskUtility and make a .dmg image of your OSX drive to an external drive, then install Snow Leopard. If something breaks, just resore you "Leopard Snapshot" back to your working drive.

Maybe have a look before upgrading if your mission critical Applications do work with SL.

And for the record, my SL upgrade on a MacBook Pro went flawless and i really like the speed and little tweaks of SL.

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

People need to realize that for every person complaining and railing on the new OS there are 100 other people who are running fine with it and are NOT complaining vocally in forum threads.

I've never been 'afraid' to install anything, you can always go back if you have an issue that can't be solved!

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Yes, my 10.6 install is so buggy I am having less issues with it than I had with 10.5.8!

S-

11. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Snow Leopard runs great. The people who have it running fine aren't complaining about it -- because what do they have to complain about if it's running fine?

All you're reading are the few horror stories that are few and far between. Get over it and install it, it runs like a charm.

12. Marcus263 macrumors regular

I had my copy sitting on my desk too, but decided what the Hell, just install the **** - done. It works very well.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Arrrghhhh!

First, to all you who say "stay away, I've had problems", quit with the don't upgrade rant. YOUR experience is the exception, not the rule. Most likely you have gummed up preferences or some third party app combination that is at fault.

Second, to the OP - the vast majority of users have had no problems with the upgrade. These forums bring out those with problems and/or like to complain. It is not a representative sampling of all the Apple users out there. If the experience was that horrible Apple would have been out of business years ago.

Back up, upgrade, and enjoy already!

14. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

My copy had been sitting on my desk for a few days too. :p

I jumped in. I did a clean install to avoid any potential "issues." It's pretty slick. :cool:

15. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Gutted for both of you.

Did a fresh install on my 15" UMBP (with the expresscard slot) and everything is fine with it.

Did an upgrade of my 13" MBP which I use for work and have had no problems with day to day usage. I use Office 2008 and that runs fine, if not quicker than before.

Both are running brilliantly

16. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

17. CIA macrumors 6502a

The vocal people usually are the ones with issues. The silent majority is chugging away fine on 10.6.
    Of the 5 machines I've upgraded, 3 were work dependent machines, all have had no major hiccups.
    Compared to 10.5.0, 10.6.0 is solid in my opinion.

If it's really a big deal. Wait til 10.6.1. There really isn't a major reason to go to 10.6 right off the bat besides upgrade lust. Just remember when you finally take the plunge, you will probably have a few hiccups no matter what. I've had a few, but again, no show stoppers.
    I should note that 4 machines were just upgrades, and one was a clean install.

18. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

define "VERY buggy"?

nothing wrong with it here :)

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Same here, mine was suppose to come on Fri but it didn't and instead came on Tues and i didn't even care, i just threw it on my desk and forgot about it. Its still on my desk staring at me but i don't have plans to install it given the whole incompatibility issues and little visual difference to Leopard.

The whole update has just been 'meh' for me. I'll probably install it at 10.6.3...things should've significantly matured by then making my transition smoother

20. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

My bad, guess I shouldn't post when tired and meant to be revising :rolleyes:

21. Marcus263 macrumors regular

I've had a chance to play about with it. It is VERY BUGGY! Wifi signal drops often. The "speed increase" is negligible, I don't notice it. Sometime the Hardrive starts grinding and running crap in the background and I can't locate what it is.

My installation is a simple one, I just use default apps apart from Transmission and Skype. I haven't tinkered with the System Settings at all, never installed a screensaver or anything. Basically it's OTB Mac and it still messes up.

I think those that are saying install it either have experience in troubleshooting, have a tone of patience or like to fix things.

My advice is to STAY AWAY until it's fixed. You will regret it if you install right now.

22. omeletpants macrumors regular

Have any thought on when 10.6.1 will be released?

23. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

A beta for it has been sent to specific testers, so I would guess another few weeks.

24. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I did a clean install and everything went fine, noticed a nice improvement in system performance and am quite happy overall.

25. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I have a copy of sl on my desk and was about to install when Ireadcon a forum my Sony sxs drivers don't work under sl. So because of Sony I can't upgrade. It means I can't off load my footage from my cerathat records to express cards using the express card slot. If that wasn't the case I would have installed straight away