I've had my Mac repaired at least 10-15 times since I got it, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jamie0003, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I just don't understand it, every month or so I seem to get a hardware problem with my Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2010 model). Every time, my local Apple store has repaired it each time.

Obviously, it's good that Apple are repairing it every time for me, and have great service. But, the problem is, these problems keep on happening, and I just don't understand why. Let me explain a bit more:

I seem to get a LOT of keyboard problems. First I had a problem with the caps lock not working, had bottom case and keyboard replaced. Then I had problems with keys sticking. Again, had both bottom case and keyboard replaced. And now, I have a faulty Ctrl key.

Also had a problem with the microphone, had that replaced. Problem with the hinge, had whole top case replaced. Problem with the trackpad. Had trackpad replaced.

Is it normal to be getting all these problems? Or have I got a faulty computer or something? Cos if I have, I don't understand why it would be, since every time they replace the whole casing as well as the keyboard and/or trackpad.

I'm really at a loss of what to do, I'm fed up of having problems with it and if it wasn't for me getting Applecare, I would have given up on it a long time ago...

It's not like I don't look after my mac, it very rarely leaves the house and I only use it sitting on my bed... I look after it well.

Sorry, this thread is sort of a rant at Apple's servicing....Or is it just me? Am I just unlucky? Or is it common for this particular Mac to have problems?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

10-15? Damn. Call customer care and request a replacement. They normally do a replacement after 3 failed repairs.
    You fit the criteria rather well.

3. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I might have been over exaggerating a bit. This is over like a year, will they still have it in their databases?

4. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Why exaggerate? You are asking for help. How many times was it really?

5. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was about 10. I'm going to go and tell them that I want a replacement Mac. Not very happy with this happening though :(

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

It should never have got to that stage, unless it was a different item failing each time. I believe after 3 failures of the same part within the machine they should automatically give you a brand new one. I'd just call AppleCare up, explain the situation, and ask for a new unit - they should give you one no questions asked.