I've made one of the most important decisions of my life. I ditched the skin.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by HarryKeogh, Aug 12, 2008.

1. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

I put BestSkinsEver on my iPhone a couple of weeks ago. Did a pretty darn good job too. Then my iPhone died and I had to take it back to the Apple store. Before I did I peeled away the film (sure enough, no residue) and forgot how beautiful this phone is. And to cover it up with this film is a damn shame.

It reminded me of my mom's couch. It was a nice couch. They she put those vinyl slipcovers on it and now she had a nice couch under this ugly clear vinyl.

So I've decided to live with a few inevitable scratches on the back (I do keep it in a leather case when it's in my pocket, after all, I'm not a madman) but I'd rather look at a naked iPhone with a few minor scratches on the back then look at an iPhone covered in plastic wrap that I find a lot more visually unappealing (plus have a screen that feels better and looks brighter).

2. cohenspire macrumors member

If only everyone had the same view! Naked is the best way to go, I'm sorry but it can't stay pristine forever, enjoy the function of the iPhone and don't worry about a few scratches here and there...it's not the end of the world if you scratch it!

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I'm with you. :)

I keep it in an iPod sock only when I have to put it in my purse, but around the house or in my pocket, it's naked as a jaybird. And beautiful. :D

4. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

I have a clear Agent18 case on my iPhone, so, it looks naked, but allows the iPhone itself to show through. I won't use one of those glass protection sheets, though, they are a pain to apply and look like crap after about a month.

I mostly want the case to protect my iPhone if I drop it.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

My main problem with the naked phone is that it's just too dang slippery in my hand. That's the only reason I put a case on mine.

7. ismoker macrumors member

ismoker

but people hardly notice about clear skin
    none of my friends, even ones who own iphone, noticed that i put clear skin on my iphone..
    hmm..'natural as it is' is beautiful i still don want scratches:(

8. thelarster macrumors newbie

9. markfraser macrumors newbie

I really don't understand why the market even exists for cases. Why buy a sleek, tactile phone and cover it in a bulky case or some sticky plastic. The screen has proven to be pretty resilient. Seriously, unless you are a clumsy oaf and your case protects damage in the case of dropping it, then why bother?

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Bravo!

I've never understood why people buy the "Mona Lisa" of consumer electronics - and then cover her up in tacky plastic.:confused:

11. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

A genius at an Apple Store told me that the glass on the iPhone is superhard and won't scratch easily. He said he throws his iPhone in his pocket with keys all the time and it doesn't have a scratch on the glass (he showed me).

The rest of the iPhone is a different story.

12. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Same for me! I was worried that the phone would slip right out of my hand and crash to the floor, so, the clear case makes it easier to grip and hold.

13. iblastoff macrumors 6502

yep. i have bse on the back of my 3g and i can definitely appreciate the extra grip.

14. HarryKeogh thread starter macrumors 6502a

I certainly appreciate that. Like I'm sure you do,I take really good care of my stuff. But I just have this internal dialogue:

nice phone

thanks!

any scratches on it?

nope! I have this plastic film on it!

cool! So when do you get to see the scratch free iPhone that you're going through such effort to protect?

for those 12 seconds between film changes! How I treasure those moments!

15. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I am a clumsy oaf, and dropping your iphone is NOT the end of the world. i HATE having a case on my phone, and i am giving myself one more month of no drops on pavemenbt and i'm taking it off...

my ONLY fear is it going sliding face down across concrete. that is the ONLY way teh face would get scratched (I have stress tested my phone) and i HAVE dropped if face down on the pavement before.. LUCKILY i had a case on it that made the edges jsut a LITTLE higher than the face and saved it from scratches.

16. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

That's correct. The whole "screen protector" industry emerged with the original Newton 10-15 years ago. Newtons had a glass screen, but with a permanently attached plastic top layer. Over time, the plastic top layer would scratch and look ugly - hence the replaceable "screen protector" was invented.

With today's completely glass screens, there's no need for a protector. The only thing that's going to scratch it is something hard like diamond or tungsten carbide.

(And if you have your pockets stuffed full of scratchy diamonds then you probably don't worry about scratches:D)

17. HarryKeogh thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I could appreciate that use for skins. When I play Scrabble with friends I slip it in its leather case.

That way I don't have a mini-heart attack after each turn and it's passed around.:D

18. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Skins are really good for resale value when the next iphone comes out. Nobody wants a scratched up phone.

19. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

dont agree with that fact that diamonds or carbide are the ONLY things that can scratch the iphone screen.. any little piece of gritty sand COULD do it.. it given the right pressure and friction.. i agree that it wouldnt be EASY to scratch, but very possible..for instance, your keys probably will NOT scratch teh screen/

THat is how sandblasted glass came about.. because sand CAN scratch glass easily..

20. Bodah macrumors regular

The iPhone glass is not unscratchable. I am tired of reading this. I got a big scratch in the face of my phone the second day I had it. It wasn't dropped, it was only in my pocket with my ID badge for work (plastic).

Luckily the Invisible Shield face protector that I put on it hides it pretty well.

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I keep my devices mint for resale value, and scratches look like crap. I have a screen protector on the front and BSE on the back. No way either of those are coming off. Someday you will regret your decision.

;)

But enjoy the freedom I guess. I did take a big step in ditching my Griffin Elan Form case and just going with the best skin ever. It's one thing to not want to add bulk via a case, but the BSE is so minimal I can't imagine not at least using that.

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Okay, I stand corrected. I just did an experiment. Metal keys don't scratch, but a little bit of unglazed terracotta did. Kind of surprising.:eek:

I sincerely hope we're not heading for a re-run of the 1G nano debacle.

So yeah folks; watch out for concrete/stone/etc.

23. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

ITS TECH GEAR... no matter HOW mint it is, unless your buying and reselling within 1 year, the value is going to drop drastically anyways. most people dont buy things in order to resell them one day.. most people buy things like phones to USE THEM every day and enjoy using them.. If a case or screen protector makes it less enjoyable, then its not a bad decision..

24. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

terracotta is BASICALLY sand.. so not too surprising. CAn you post pics?

25. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I disagree. I bought my original iphone for 400 and just sold it on craigslist for 550. And thats because it was mint condition from having a full body skin on it from day one.